[NFBWATLK] Article: Police: Ex-student sent threatening messages to Washington State School for the Blind, KPTV, Oct 24, 2018

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Fri Oct 26 17:42:23 UTC 2018

https://www.kptv.com/news/police-ex-student-sent-threatening-messages-to-washington-state-school/article_1f33f970-d7fe-11e8-8f49-7f4aaf2de11a.html

Police: Ex-student sent threatening messages to Washington State School for the Blind
KPTV FOX 12
October 24, 2018
By FOX 12 Staff

VANCOUVER, WA (KPTV) - School officials in Vancouver are trying to get to the bottom of some disturbing online messages.

Police say the messages came from a former student at the Washington State School for the Blind.

According to officers, the threats, which included mention of a gun, were directed at the school itself and a current student. They say it appears the suspect and the student know each other.

School officials learned about the messages early Tuesday morning and say the school was put in a modified lockdown. Classes were operating as normal but students had close supervision as they traveled between buildings on campus, school officials said.

"We've notified the authorities, we've interviewed students, we've done searches around rooms and bags," Scott McCallum, the school's superintendent, said. "Just trying to get to the bottom of it. We just really don't know where this is coming from at the moment."

School officials say this type of harassing behavior started this summer.

They confirm many students and some staff members have received messages and phone calls.