[NFBWATLK] FW: New Interpreter Program at DBSC!

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Wed Jan 2 22:36:58 UTC 2019

From: Heather Melendez - DBSC [mailto:AdminAssistant at seattledbsc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 2:35 PM
To: DBSC Info
Subject: New Interpreter Program at DBSC!

Exciting Special Announcement!

DBSC has implemented a new program - the DeafBlind Interpreter Referral Service.  It started in July of 2018. The implementation of this new program has been a slow and careful process, but it is already a huge success! We are excited to announce this as an official, fully functioning service here at the DeafBlind Service Center.

The DeafBlind Interpreter Referral Service focuses on people with both vision loss and hearing loss only. DeafBlind communication varies in ways such as; close vision, tactile, tracking, and Pro-Tactile (PT). DBSC has the expertise to match a deafblind individual's preferred method of communication as well as making use of skilled interpreters for the community. DBSC also respects the deafblind individuals preferred interpreter preference.

DBSC has a contract with the Interpreter Services of ODHH (Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing). DBSC also works closely with various state agencies such as DSHS Community Services. Including their Child Support Program, Family Planning Program, Medical Assistance Program, Washington Basic Food Program, Child Prevention Service (CPS), Adult Prevention Service (APS) and many more. We can provide interpreters for various training, events and presentations held by ODHH, Department Services for the Blind(DSB), and the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). Our interpreting service is not limited to State agencies only. DBSC also works with the City of Seattle, King County, various small and large private companies as well as non-profit agencies.

If you would like more information about our DeafBlind Interpreter Referral Program or to make an interpreter request, please contact: DBterps at seattledbsc.org<mailto:DBterps at seattledbsc.org>. For deaf and hearing interpreters who are interested in working for the DeafBlind Community, please contact us.

Angela Theriault, MA

Executive Director

Deaf-Blind Service Center (DBSC)

(206) 257-2754