[NFBWATlk] Nfb Hellen Keller letter, fyi for every one on list.

Maurice Mines maurice at mmines.org
Thu Aug 15 20:59:58 UTC 2024

The National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind Division understands that the work that the Helen Keller National Center (HKNC) does is important for DeafBlind persons who are in need of adjustment training. We strongly urge this institution to implement the changes listed below.

The HKNC should actively engage in finding and employing more blind and/or DeafBlind staff members.
The HKNC should strive to have a majority of its board of directors be DeafBlind people.
The HKNC should recruit and employ a DeafBlind director in order to instill community support among current students, consumer organizations, and the DeafBlind, ourselves.
We believe that it is critical for students to seek competent role models in teaching positions. This shows students that after their training is completed, they too can live the lives they want.
We urge the Helen Keller National Center to work closely with the NFB DeafBlind Division and the National Federation of the Blind on these matters.

 Copy division board, and interested persons.

Maurice A. Mines, President

National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division

Email: nfbdbpresident at mmines.org <mailto:nfbdbpresident at mmines.org>

Website: www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> <http://www.nfbdeaf-blind.org <http://www.nfbdeaf-blind.org/>>

Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division, a proud division

of the National Federation of the Blind, is a community of members and

friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day

we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.