[Nfbwv-talk] Message from Dr. Maurer

C. Smyth cs.nfbwv at verizon.net
Thu Oct 30 21:56:15 UTC 2008

Greetings,

Just wanted to pass this message from Dr. Maurer on to all of you so you are aware of this as well.

Charlene Smyth

NFBWV President

SENT VIA E-MAIL

October 27, 2008

TO THE STATE PRESIDENTS OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

Dear Colleagues:

            I have seen a letter from a former NFB member from Michigan named Vickie Rolison.  This letter is from OurGV, which she says stands for Our Global Vision.  She says that those who shop on Our Global Vision can generate ten cents per click for an affiliate treasury.

            I do not know about Vickie Rolison or about OurGV.  I have not checked to determine the viability or authenticity of either.  I do not know whether she or the company have filed the appropriate papers to serve as fundraising entities in any of the states.  I suspect that they have not.  Unless there is the appropriate review to determine compliance with federal and state law, I suggest that we avoid this.  Our policy is that any person or firm serving as a professional fundraiser must pass through a review and approval process at the national office prior to making agreements with state affiliates, local chapters, or divisions.  This policy has been established by the Board of Directors to protect state affiliates, local chapters, and divisions.  The regulatory requirements for fundraisers in the United States are complicated, and the penalties for violating them are severe.  If you have questions, please call me.

Cordially,

Marc Maurer, President

National Federation of the Blind

MM/kw