[Nfbwv-talk] BRAILLE LITERACY STORY ON WV PUBLIC RADIO

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Wed Apr 29 23:02:56 UTC 2009

Yesterday I did a phone interview with Beth Vorhees, host of "West Virginia
Morning," the daily news magazine on West Virginia Public Radio.  We
discussed the Louis Braille Bicentennial and related matters--the coin, the
Braille literacy crisis in America, and Governor Joe Manchin's recent
appearance at our meeting with state agencies that provide services to the
blind.  (The governor issued a "Braille Readers Are Leaders" proclamation
and pledged his support for our efforts to improve the level of Braille
instruction in the state.)

I do not know for certain when the story will air, but it might well be
tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday.  I make no claims for the quality of my
performance, but if any of you wish to try to hear it, "West Virginia
Morning" is broadcast statewide on WV Public Radio at 7:30 AM.  The story
will also probably appear eventually on their website at

http://www.wvpubcast.org

I had audio clips from the governor's remarks which I offered to make
available to her, but she was not interested.  That meant I had to try to
tell the whole story myself.  Guess we'll see how it turned out.

Ed