[Nfbwv-talk] EVELYN MILHORN DIES

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Feb 21 23:16:45 UTC 2009

I am sorry to report the death of long-time West Virginia Federationist
Evelyn Milhorn.  She was 83 years old and apparently died in her sleep last
night.

I got the news earlier today in a phone call from her friend and fellow
Federationist, Dorothy Schultze.  According to Dot, Evelyn had been in
failing health for some time, but the two of them talked by phone last
night.  Funeral Arrangements are not yet complete.

Evelyn's mother, a woman named Mrs. Travis, was blind, and the two of them
joined the Sightless Workers' Guild, our Wheeling chapter, around 1949.
Evelyn served for many years as financial secretary of the West Virginia
affiliate and for even more years as treasurer of the Wheeling chapter.

Evelyn was a woman of good spirit and strong commitment.  She could have
more fun at a state convention than anyone I know, but she also worked as
hard for the organization as anyone I know.  Back in the days when the
affiliate published its yearbook, she served as the managing editor.  She
managed our financial resources well and did all she could to make sure we
were financially strong.  She was also part of the active core of Wheeling
Federationists who got me to my first Federation meeting just over forty
years ago.

I know she is a member of our Hall of Honor, but my memory fails me as to
the year of her induction.  Evelyn is one of a group of dedicated sighted
members who worked faithfully with us to build and maintain the Federation
in West Virginia during its early years.  Those of us who knew her will
remember her fondly as a colleague and a friend.

Cordially,

Ed