[Nfbwv-talk] WV in NY Times

Karen McDonald karen at eioproductions.com
Thu Oct 1 20:02:35 UTC 2009

I thought some of you might like to have this article to keep.  I know I do.

Karen

United Tastes - Pepperoni Rolls, a Piece of West Virginia Culinary History -
Series - NY...

September 30, 2009 UNITED TASTES

Fast Food Even Before Fast Food

By JOHN T. EDGE

Shinnston, W.Va.

AFTER dropping a load of siding scrap at the dump here, Jeff Willis, a
contractor in this onetime coal mining center, returned to the Go Mart for
his second pepperoni roll of the morning.

>From a shelf by the door, above a cooler stocked with cellophane-wrapped
sausage biscuits, he grabbed a paper bag of the rolls, baked that morning at
D'Annunzio's in nearby Clarksburg, W.Va., and delivered before the sun rose.

"My mother packed these for my father," Mr. Willis said, as he bit into a
yeast-risen stub of white bread, seams bursting with coins of Hormel
pepperoni, bottom tinged russet by the meat's aromatic grease. "He worked a
coal mine. This was his lunch. I eat the same thing. Breakfast and lunch
both, it's what I want."

In the northern reaches of West Virginia, along a corridor of Appalachia
stretching from Buckhannon, through Clarksburg, up to Morgantown, an
appetite for pepperoni rolls cuts across class strata.

At BFS convenience stores, where they're sold alongside Hot Pockets and
other nationally distributed graband-go foods, shift workers warm pepperoni
rolls in microwave ovens and dip them in packets of marinara sauce. At the
Ritzy Lunch, a venerable diner in Clarksburg, grill cooks dress split rolls
with chili and cheese. Country club barkeepers sell pepperoni rolls as
ballast to beer-drinking golfers. They're a breakfast food for glass-plant
laborers, peddled at doughnut shops.

"You didn't have to speak English to dig coal," John Brunett said one recent
afternoon, summarizing the cultural forces that gave birth to the pepperoni
roll, the signature product of his family's bakery.

Along with his mother, Janice Brunett, and his sister, Marisa Brunett, he
owns Tomaro's, a humble bunker of a business, with ovens in back and counter
service up front. Founded by his great-grandfather, Anthony Tomaro, in 1914,
the bakery is a community hub in the Italian-dominated Glen Elk neighborhood
of Clarksburg.

West Virginians recognize the pepperoni rolls as a vestige of the state's
bituminous coal mining industry, which, in the early years of the 20th
century, before mechanization reduced the need for manual labor, recruited
Italian immigrants to do extraction work with dynamite and pickax.

In 1900, West Virginia was home to more native-born citizens than any other
state. But, as the coal industry

boomed and labor needs surged, that changed. Coal companies sought, as one
historian put it, "a more docile, controllable work force than their
American-born counterparts."

They did not get what they bargained for. Italian immigrants were just as
inclined, if not more so, toward union affiliation and action.

By 1915, there were more Italian laborers than any of the other 20-plus
nationalities working the coal fields.

Out of that cauldron of labor strife and self-definition came a hybridized
food that owed as much to West Virginia as it did to Calabria, the region
from which so many of the Italian immigrants came.

Asked to talk of pepperoni roll origins, Mr. Brunett spoke of his family
history in the mines. (His greatgrandfather swung a pickax.)

But he didn't stake a claim to pepperoni roll primacy.

"I'm not sure who baked the first one," he said as a customer bit into a hot
roll threaded with sticks of peeled, long-cut pepperoni. "We don't say that.
But we're pretty sure it was an Italian thing, at least to start."

Most informed eaters here know the early script: In advance of clambering
into a dank and dark coal seam, Italian miners loaded tin pails with hunks
of hearth-baked bread as well as various American takes on Italian salumi,
from bologna to pepperoni.

>From there, it was a short evolutionary step to selling commercially baked
pepperoni rolls in taverns and country stores to shift workers in need of
cheap and portable food.

(Some locals tell stories of bakeries that tried to market other meat-filled
buns and rolls, stuffed with everything from salami to ham, but it seems
that, by the late 1930s, pepperoni was the preferred filling.)

Mr. Brunett talks of pepperoni rolls as peculiar totems of Italian-American
identity in West Virginia. And he's right.

But their size and utility are comparable to a number of hand-held foods,
engineered for on-the-job consumption by miners.

Meat-and-potato-stuffed pasties, popular on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan,
where copper mining was once important, have their likely origins in the tin
mines of Cornwall, England.

The variously flavored Moon Pies of Tennessee were, according to Chattanooga
Bakery company lore, developed by a route salesman for the lunch pails of
Kentucky coal miners.

Today, although a mechanized mining industry employs far fewer laborers than
it once did, the Italian presence in the northern reaches of West Virginia
remains formidable. (By one estimate, nearly 40 percent of Clarksburg
residents claim some Italian ancestry.)

A sign in front of Mama's Country Kitchen, in downtown Clarksburg,
advertises "Italian style foods," not meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

 Oliverio's Cash & Carry, a specialty foods manufacturer, packs sweet
peppers in tomato sauce and sells them statewide to red-sauce restaurants
and hot dog huts alike.

But here the bread is the tell. And the idiom is peculiar to West Virginia.

Here par-baked Sicilian-style pizza crusts are sold ready to be filled with
sauce, cheese and toppings and baked on cookie sheets.

Hamburger patties with American cheese and sweet peppers, built on bases of
thick-sliced bread from Tomaro's or one of the other Italian bakeries, are
sold - by checkered tablecloth spaghetti houses and carhop burger joints
alike - as Giovanni sandwiches.

Tomaro's is the oldest survivor of the days when coal camps teemed with
Italian immigrants who stoked beehive ovens with oak logs. But it's not the
only one. Home Industry Bakery of Clarksburg - which owes its
counterintuitive name to a Depression-era beginning as a business that sold
home baked goods for local women - bakes pepperoni rolls that, when hot,
ooze with pepper cheese. And Abruzzino's in nearby Gypsy bakes pepperoni
rolls that look like elongated dinner rolls, with cottony interiors that
brim with folded slices of meat.

Relative upstarts like Brake's Dairy King in Buckhannon, on the southern
fringe of the pepperoni-roll corridor, do not hew to the dictates of
tradition.

The proprietor, Chris Brake, who claims no Italian heritage and who has been
baking rolls since just 1998, takes great pride in his rolls, which he says
are so labor intensive that he can manage to bake only on Thursdays.

Mr. Brake has an expansive view of how to serve them. "You can nuke these in
the microwave," he said of his rolls, which are broader and heftier than the
style found in Clarksburg. "They can take it. My rolls can take anything.
I'll split them open and pile anything on. I'll put ice cream in the
son-of-a-gun if somebody wants one that way."

The loaded roll - smothered in chili, capped with cheese - may foretell the
future. Chris Pallotta, the current proprietor of Country Club Bakery in
Fairmont, founded in 1927 by Giuseppe Argiro as People's Bakery and touted
by many as the origin point of the pepperoni roll, doesn't seem to mind that
his artisanalquality baked goods are considered by many customers to be mere
foils for all manner of condiments.

One morning, as two giant shop fans cooled racks of fresh-baked pepperoni
rolls, he talked of tailgating at Mountaineer Field on the campus of West
Virginia University, in Morgantown.

"On football Saturdays, I see my rolls everywhere," he said. "They split
them open and stuff them with provolone and peppers and wrap them in tin
foil. I see them put scoops of hot dog chili on top."

Like Chris Brake, he sees in today's post-coal-mining economy the prospect
for continued relevancy as a new generation of consumers applies an
avalanche of American condiments to his Italian-American pepperoni rolls.

"I don't care how they use them," said Mr. Pallotta, who dresses his own
rolls with Oliverio's peppers. "I'm

just glad to see that they're starting with pepperoni rolls."