[Nfbwv-talk] Ramada Plaza Hotel Facilities

C. Smyth cs.nfbwv at verizon.net
Tue Sep 1 22:54:16 UTC 2009

Ramada Plaza Hotel Facility

Directions & Overview

NFBWV 2009 Convention

          The 2009 National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia (NFBWV) convention will take place at the Ramada Plaza Hotel located at 400 Second Avenue in South Charleston, West Virginia, (telephone (304)744-4641).  Room reservations can be made at any time.  When you make your reservations, be sure to tell them you are with the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.

          The hotel is located at the intersection of Second Avenue and B. Street, near the Montrose exit of I-64.

          Traveling from North:  I-77S/I-79S to I-64West toward Huntington, go 4 miles to Exit 56-Montrose Drive Exit, go right at light and get into the extreme right lane; bear to the right again, following Cloverleaf which will merge onto 2nd Avenue; go straight and the Ramada will be one block on your left.

          Traveling from South:  I-77N to I-64West, go 3 miles to Exit 56-Montrose Drive Exit, go right at light and get into the extreme right lane; bear to the right again, following Cloverleaf which will merge onto 2nd Avenue; go straight and the Ramada will be one block on your left.

          Traveling from EastI-64 West towards Huntington, take Exit 56-Montrose Drive Exit, go right at light and get into the extreme right Lane; bear to the right again, following Cloverleaf which will merge onto 2nd Avenue; go straight and the Ramada will be one block on your left.

          Traveling from Yeager Airport:  Take exit to airport and follow road. It will turn into Greenbrier Street at intersection, stay right at intersection and follow the signs for downtown Charleston. Take I-77N/I-64West until the two interstates split. Follow I-64, go 3 miles to Exit 56-Montrose Drive Exit, go right at light and get into the extreme right lane; bear to the right again, following Cloverleaf which will merge onto 2nd Avenue; go straight and the Ramada will be one block on your left.

          This year's hotel guest room rates are $79 per night for up to 4 persons per room.

          The Ramada Plaza is built roughly in the shape of the print letter H with the vertical wings of the H running north and south and the crossbar of the H running east and west.

          The entrance to the main lobby is at the north end of the west wing.  A revolving door is situated in the center of this entrance with conventional doors on either side. Proceeding straight north from the main entranced, there is a small seating area with a square rug that has tables and chairs in the center of the lobby.

          Registration will be in the lobby on the west side near the Centennial Ballroom.  Most of the major convention activities will take place in the Centennial Ballroom.  The double doors leading into the Centennial Room are located along the west wall of the lobby, slightly north of the front desk; (that is, if you stand facing the front desk, the Centennial Room entrance will be slightly behind you, on the wall to the right.)  This room will be divided into 2 sections.  Our main meeting and banquet will be in Salons C&D.  Once inside the double doors, Centennial  C and D are to the right.

          Just to the right of the front desk is a tiled corridor which continues southward.  The corridor contains a large floor to ceiling iron bird cage on the right (west side). The first large open carpeted area along the right-hand (west) side of this corridor, is the hotel bar and restaurant.  The restaurant offers a décor and menu with a rock music motif and serves a full complimentary breakfast buffet each morning from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.  The buffet bar is located at the south end of the restaurant.

          Continuing southward down the corridor across from the restaurant/lounge is a small open carpeted seating area with 2 chairs and a table on the left. The chairs and table face south. The south west corner of the seating area is a support post. Both the west and south walls are open.  Just inside and to the right of the small seating area, as you face the two chairs, is a small room with vending machines.

          Continuing south past the bar entrance, you will come to an alcove, along the left-hand (east) side of the corridor where public restrooms are located. The women's restroom is on the left-hand side of the alcove; the men's is on the right.

          At the south end of this corridor are glass doors which lead to the pool solarium.  The NAPUB luncheon and the Friday night reception will be located in the solarium.  The solarium space has a textured stone floor.  The pool is in the center of the solarium with tables and chairs at both the east and west end of the pool and lounge chairs along the south side of the pool.

          Returning back to the north-south hall; immediately across from the south end of the bar/restaurant opening, on the left-hand (east) side of the hall, is the opening to the east-west tiled corridor through the center of the H.  After turning east into this hall, you will find a cabinet with a lamp on the right-hand wall.

          Beyond the small seating area on the left and the cabinet with a lamp on the right is a set of double glass doors which are usually kept open.  Just past the double doors, along the right-hand (south) wall, is a second glass door to the pool area.

          Back in the east-west corridor, traveling eastward, at the end of the hall, you will enter the east wing of the H which contains the hotel guest rooms.

          Two elevators are located side by side at the east end of the center corridor.   Facing the elevators, (just left along the east wall) is an alcove containing an ice machine.

          Fire exits are located at both the north and south ends of the guest room corridor.

          Ice, soda, and snack machines are located on each floor in an alcove to the right after exiting the elevators.

          This information was written by Sheri Koch, member of the Kanawha Valley Chapter of the NFB.  We felt this over view was needed by members before arriving for the state convention.  Please share this with all members who do not receive e-mail.