[Nfbwv-talk] Mountain Fest/Navigating Festivals

Brad Hodges BHodges at afb.net
Fri Jul 23 19:45:18 UTC 2010

Greetings:

Managing independently in new or business related social activities was an on-going topic of conversation I enjoyed with Dr. Betsy Zaborowski, the first director of the Jernigan Institute. Betsy was also a friend and we often compared notes.

First, you asked if it was OK to ask for help. It is always OK to do so. At the end of the day, I ask myself "Are you in charge of the situation, or is the situation in charge of you?" In the NFB we believe that we are in charge of both our blindness and our lives. This does not mean that we don't ever ask for help, nor does it imply that we think we magically know everything about the visual world around us. Rather it means that we have the techniques to figure it out as we need.

Since you don't know anyone in particular, I would use the ask a question, and then move along method, unless you partner up with a new friend.

To begin, I would approach someone and say something like "Howdy, this is my first time here, are you familiar with the setup around here?" Not necessarily a blindness question. If the person is equally unfamiliar with things, and if the quick vibe is good you may want to inquire if he/she would want to discover the next step together. You mentioned the web site, having some detailed information to share may help make you a useful companion to someone who lacks the info but is interested in checking things out together.

If the first person you ask has no interest, I would conclude by asking something like "Guess we're both in the same boat, do you see anyone who looks like they work for the festival?"

Then move along and try it again. Once you find the first food booth, you might want to ask what the next booth or 2 are. If you know the name or kind of foods you are especially interested in I would ask what booths the people can see in a specific direction, and if they know where the one you are interested is. A tip I have found useful, if the person is willing to provide help, but is a bit freaqued out, if you ask about directions, and you point in a specific direction, they can sometimes relate to that. Example, "is the place with the turkey legs that direction?" when you are pointing left.

You know you will want to use the shuttle to the top of the hill. I would locate that before purchasing bags or boxes of food. I find traveling with hands full of drinks and bags to be uncomfortable when I am unfamiliar with the area. I sometimes even take a small bag which I can carry over my shoulder or on my arm in order to keep my hands free. The reusable shopping bags that I have a bunch of them from conferences work well, if you loose it you're not out any money. I also prefer to purchase drinks in closed bottles rather than cups with or without lids, if I am going to have to walk a distance, or manage in crowded and unfamiliar places.

Above all, have a great time. You don't have to follow any schedule other than the one you select, and you don't have to be in any particular part of the festival grounds unless you decide that is where you want to go.

In Federationism,

Brad