[Nfbwv-talk] DEATH IN THE FAMILY

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Thu Jul 29 19:12:07 UTC 2010

I am writing to notify all of you in our Federation family that Karen's son
(my step-son) Franklin Chandler, was murdered last week in Colorado Springs,
CO, where he had recently relocated to live with his brother and look for
employment.

We have not yet been able to learn much additional detail concerning the
incident except that his death resulted from multiple stab wounds and that a
suspect has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder.  A police
detective tells us that investigators believe they have a strong case but
that trial is not expected until spring, 2010.

Communicating from a distance over the past several days with the police
department, coroner's office, funeral director, cemetery manager, etc., has
consumed nearly all of our time and energy, and so it has been virtually
impossible for us to make personal contact with all of the people who might
want to know.  Thus, I have chosen this less than ideal means of reaching
some of you who may not already have received the news.

Needless to say, Karen was devastated by the loss, but she has shown amazing
strength and composure throughout the ordeal.

For those who might want to read it, below is the obituary that has just
appeared in local news media.

We are truly grateful for the outpouring of love and concern that has
already come from family and friends.

Cordially,

Ed

Franklin Edward "Frankie" Chandler, 26, of Keyser, WV, formerly of Fairmont,
WV, died Friday, July 23, 2010 in Colorado Springs, CO.  He was born January
12, 1984 in Fairmont, WV, the son of Donald Wayne Stephens and his wife
Cheryl of Jamaica Queens, NY and Karen Jean (Sharp) McDonald and her husband
Ed of Keyser, WV.

He was a member of the Greater Allen AME Cathedral of New York.

He is survived and cherished by two brothers, Army Staff Sergeant Carl E.
"KJ" Chandler, II (and family) on active duty in Afghanistan; and USAF
Senior Airman Jackson W. Chandler, currently stationed in  Colorado Springs,
CO; one sister, Donna K. Jarboe (and family) of Fairmont, WV; three
step-brothers, Gregory Creer of Jamaica Queens, NY; Craig Creer of Las Vegas
NV; and Marcus Creer of North Brunswick, NJ; his grandmother, Madaline
Honeycutt of Landover Hills, MD; along with numerous aunts, uncles, nieces,
nephews and cousins.

Franklin's infectious smile, robust laugh, and generous spirit endeared him
to all who knew and loved him.  He was taken from us much too soon and will
be forever missed.

The family will receive friends at the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 135 Maple
Ave. Fairmont, Monday (August 2) from 12:00 - 1:00pm.  Funeral services will
be held at the church Monday at 1:00pm, the Rev. John McKenney officiating.
Burial will follow at Grandview Memorial Gardens in Fairmont.

Arrangements have been entrusted to the JG Lampkin Funeral Home.