[Nfbwv-talk] Richard Bennett

Andrews, David B B (DEED) David.B.Andrews at state.mn.us
Tue Mar 2 20:47:48 UTC 2010

From: Wilson, Joanne [mailto:JWilson at nfb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:00 PM
To: Andrews, David B B (DEED)
Subject: Richard Bennett

It is with deep regret and sadness I wish to inform you that on
February 27, 2010 our colleague and friend Richard Bennett passed
away in his home in Wilmington, Delaware. Catherine Newman, the
president of the NFB of Delaware Student Division, conveys our
thoughts about Richard best in the message that follows.

Joanne Wilson

President Richard H. Bennett of Delaware passed away late Saturday
afternoon in his home in Wilmington Delaware. The student/career
division group and the Delaware federation family will deeply miss
"Papa Richard". He was a kind, caring, and wise man. He was a man who
would give the shirt off his back for his federation family or anyone
that needed his help for that matter. Respected by all who knew him,
Richard was truly a champion for the cause of blind independence.
Having dreamed for years of the founding of a student division in
Delaware, he thought of us in the student division as his own
personal daughters and sons. Ever compassionate and always patient,
he was willing to explain things in such a way that everyone could
understand. He was a lamp in the darkness and a living example of
what we all hope to become; completely free and independent blind
people fully capable of fulfilling our dreams. His encouragement
helped us to become stronger people, and knowing that he believed in
us as individuals and as a division we felt there wasn't a thing we
couldn't accomplish. The student career division promises we will
keep his memory alive, pass on his legacy of moving mountains in
Delaware for blind and visually impaired people for generation to come.

Family is asking that donations be sent to National Center or the
Maryland School for the Blind in his memory. Memorial services
details will be provided at a later date.