[Nfbwv-talk] For Those Going to National Convention

charlene cs.nfbwv at frontier.com
Sun Feb 6 16:18:08 UTC 2011

If you are planning on attending the 2011 national convention of the National Federation
of the Blind in Orlando, Florida, I would like to encourage you to make your hotel
reservations since it is my understanding that rooms are going fast.  Please find
below information from the December issue of the Braille Monitor that has all the
information you need to know about the cost of rooms and making reservations:
Convention Bulletin 2011
Rosen Shingle Creek Resort
Palm-lined drive leading to the front entrance of the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort
It is time to begin planning for the 2011 convention of the National Federation of
the Blind. This year we are going to Orlando and the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek
Resort, July 3 through 8. Remember we have recently made a significant change in
our schedule, so please pay close attention to the dates and schedule so that you
are not taken by surprise.
Once again our hotel rates are the envy of all. For the 2011 convention they are
singles and doubles, $63; and for triples and quads, $67. In addition to the room
rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made
for children under seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is
requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.
For 2011 convention room reservations you should write directly to the Rosen Shingle
Creek, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. You can call the hotel
at (866) 996-6338 after January 1. The hotel will want a deposit of $75 for each
room and will want a credit card number or a personal check. If you use a credit
card, the deposit will be charged against your card immediately, just as would be
the case with a $75 check. If a reservation is cancelled before June 1, 2011, half
of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.
Guest-room amenities include a thirty-two-inch flat-screen television with NXTV;
two telephones; laptop safe; coffee maker; hairdryer; and, for a fee, high-speed
Internet access. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool and a golf course. The Rosen
Shingle Creek has two fine-dining establishments: A Land Remembered and the Cala
Bella Italian Bistro. Both received the AAA Four Diamond Rating. See later issues
of the
Monitor
 for details and information about other attractions in the Greater Orlando area.
The 2011 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly exciting
and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication to the goals and
work of our movement. Make plans now to be a part of it. Remember that the schedule
this year is the same as last year's in that it is a full day shorter than our longtime
convention schedule. Preconvention seminars for parents of blind children and other
groups and set-up of the exhibit hall will take place on Sunday, July 3, and adjournment
will be Friday, July 8, following the banquet. Convention registration and registration
packet pick-up for those who preregistered will begin on Monday, July 4, and both
Monday and Tuesday will be filled with meetings of divisions and committees, including
the Tuesday morning annual meeting, open to all, of the board of directors of the
National Federation of the Blind.
General convention sessions will begin on Wednesday, July 6, and continue through
the banquet on Friday, July 8. Note that Thursday, July 7, will include both morning
and afternoon convention sessions. Saturday, July 9, will be available for tours
for those who enjoy getting to know something about our convention city. To assure
yourself a room in the headquarters hotel at convention rates, you must make reservations
early. The hotel will be ready to take your call or deal with your written request
by January 1.
Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates, local chapters,
and individuals. Once again prizes should be small in size but large in value. Cash,
of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As a general rule we ask that prizes
of all kinds have a value of at least $25 and not include alcohol. Drawings will
occur steadily throughout the convention sessions, and you can anticipate a grand
prize of truly impressive proportions to be drawn at the banquet. You may bring door
prizes with you or send them ahead of time (identifying the item and donor and listing
the value in print and Braille) to Dwight Sayer, 259 Regal Downs Circle, Winter Garden,
Florida 34787; phone (407) 877-8668.
The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of our special
interest groups, committees, and divisions; memorable tours suggested by the Florida
affiliate; the most stimulating and provocative program items of any meeting of the
blind in the world; the chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and
the unparalleled opportunity to be where the real action is and where decisions are
being made-all of these mean you will not want to miss being a part of the 2011 national
convention. We'll see you in Orlando in July.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5851 (20110206) __________

http://www.eset.com