[Nfbwv-talk] Adjusted Design Proposal

Kubas, Amy kubasa at my.uwstout.edu
Thu Mar 17 01:04:00 UTC 2011

This is a follow up from Amy Kubas who is the person who asked that
we send out an informal survey, on her behalf, the other
day.  FYI:  she is a relative of one of our members here in Minnesota.

David Andrews

First and foremost, thank you all for taking the time to help me with
my Senior Project. I hope you don't mind me contacting you for
further inquiries about your suggestions. I was not able to provide
more background information in the previous survey and I hope you do
not mind if I do so now. As part of our design process we are
required to create a target persona of whom we will be designing for.
My persona is an 80+-year-old woman whom has recently -gradually yet
rapidly- lost her sight due to age. Part of my research presentation
to my professors included the statistic that 70% of the 15 million
blind and visually impaired persons in the United States are aged 65+
and their visual impairments are most often because of the inevitable
aging process. The designs that were selected, I presume, had merit
to my professors when dealing with the mobility issues that come with
age (essential tremors, arthritis, etc.) and were reviewed in sketch
form as opposed to a 3D model. I was worried I might step on some
toes with some of the concepts I presented as the recipients of the
survey were not privy to my entire research process up to this point
(I understand that someone who is blind can more than easily plug in
a cord, and am sure I came across as very naive to the majority of
readers). I am hoping 3D modeling will help determine which concepts
are more appropriate for those with visual and physical limitations
and how to create them in such a way as most beneficial to the user.
Further along that note, other survey readers had suggested that the
products I had listed would benefit more for the user in a commercial
setting as many of them have adapted to using those products in their
homes in their own ways. (For example, the silverware concept would
be more beneficial for use during a business meeting at a chain of
restaurants that currently use more mainstream flatware than
necessary for a user at his or her home. Moreover, picking up a fork
instead of a spoon by mistake isn't the world's biggest problem.)

That being said, some of my original concepts not chosen by my
professors were actually written in as suggestions from other survey
readers. I had a few designs based on stovetops that allow the user
to distinguish where the actual burner is (as opposed to more common
flat-topped ceramic stoves we have today) as well as interfaces that
'stick' at each interval rather than having a smooth transition from
high heat to low heat. I also had a design for a tactile microwave
interface as well as one for touch-screen ATMs. I explored washing
machines and dryers, and even offered a 'schematic' of sorts that
would map out a room for the user that would be an extension of the
Braille signs they have now outside of offices, bathrooms,
auditoriums, etc. Another approach I had was redesigning US paper
currency to be more obvious to its denominations than it currently is
today. I now know the majority of people I have been able to contact
via the NFB mailing list are well past the transitioning stage and
have already adjusted to a lifestyle without sight. As the majority
of my responses came from individuals who do not fit the 80+ female
demographic, I am hoping to re-examine my concepts and target persona
in the next stage of development and provide my professors with the
suggestions written in by your readers.

I understand with product design nothing is really original. The
majority of products are based off of already existing products and
the main element that changes how those appear is technology. I feel
as if some of my concepts were disregarded by my professors (the
tactile stove for example) because it has existed in some form or
another before (not that the salt and pepper shakers haven't already
been out there, but a stove has been redone based on technology so
many times over whereas a salt shaker has stayed relatively the same
in it's basic form and function). I came across a quote from a blind
man attending the CES convention who said, "There are (products) we
can't use because they've been improved to death" which had inspired
a lot of my low-tech concepts. There were numerous suggestions I had
received about implementing technology into products and I am hoping
to get back to each reader to get further help from them.

Again, thank you for your sincerity in your response to my survey and
for being patient with my very 'sight-minded' view of those with
visual impairments.  If you don't mind me writing you with further
inquiries, I would love to hear more about your opinions of my
concepts that weren't selected by my professors but seem in common
demand by those I have been able to be in contact with. I hate to
bother you all with another posting of a survey, but it seems as if
there are things that need to be addressed that my professors might
have overlooked from my original designs. Of the following, which
would be most appealing to you as a user:

1] A cook top surface with more distinct ways of determining
temperature gauges and specific heat surfaces (ex. Knobs that 'stick'
at every temperature level from high heat to low heat, a thermostat
that audibly tells you what temperature your oven is heating to, etc.)

2] A more tactile or audible way of determining settings on a washer and dryer

3] Tactile interfaces on touch-screen ATMs to help those with low
vision select the right buttons to navigate through transactions

4] A universal schematic as an extension of already existing Braille
signs that inform the user of floor plans for areas such as public
restrooms, auditoriums, large office spaces, etc.

5] US currency (though I know bill-readers already exist I was hoping
to design currency that could be determined without the aid of a
reader. I received one survey response that suggested maybe even
adjusting things ever so slightly so that a new less expensive
bill-reader would be able to be used to do the trick. While a new
design for reader-free currency might be the ideal option, the
reality is that a more cost-effective approach to what already exists
might be the best solution. And that suggestion just saved me quite
some headache when it comes to tackling a national dilemma!)

Other suggestions that weren't in my original 50 concepts but were
written in by other recipients included:

6] A way of labeling or organizing electronic cords (ex. Printer
cords, USB cords, Internet cables, cell phone chargers, etc. that
seem to be kept in the same location)

7) A TV or TV Remote interface that provides more feedback to the
viewer. In other words a system that informs someone they are on
channel 31 as opposed to 65 or a way of reading scrolling text on
news channels, severe weather alerts, the stock market updates, etc.
Another recipient suggested a better informative way of interacting
with the cable menu systems that come with most cable services.

8) A more cost-effective and more efficient color detector and/or
clothes labeler

9) A universal labeling system for things such as canned goods,
frozen goods, dry goods, etc. One reader mentioned he had magnetic
labels for his canned goods, but if his sighted wife went shopping
for groceries she might not always fully understand his system of
labeling and will either put cans away without labels or mislabel
cans with the wrong ones.

10) An all-inclusive carrying case for things such as a cell phone,
iPad, and Braille display.

11) Audible sports equipment (balls that have sound so the blind and
sighted can enjoy a game of soccer, etc. mutually. The reader also
suggested an audible sensor that could be pinned to a sighted friend
when skiing, biking, running, etc.)

12] A potting system for plants that will assist the user in keeping
and caring for multiple plants in one pot.

13] a type of recipe holder that can be controlled by voice. One
woman told of how it was cumbersome to have to wash her hands every
time she wanted to read her braille cookbook to determine the next
step in the recipe she was cooking. So potentially something that
could be controlled by a simple vocal "Pause", "Back", or "Next" etc.
during the cooking process.

Are any of the concepts mentioned above of any interest to you? If
so, which of those stand out to you? Could you please also provide me
with any feedback as to whether audible or tactile cues might be more
appropriate for one design versus another?

Furthermore, as I hope to design a product that is also appropriate
for someone who is currently adjusting to their vision loss, could
those of you who have had experience with partial sight fill me in on
any difficulties you ran into when transitioning into life without
sight? What were your biggest obstacles? What were your frustrations?
What things gave you the most relief in the transitional period? I
now know the majority of people I have been able to contact via the
NFB mailing list have already adjusted to a lifestyle without sight,
but I am hoping you might be able to help me better understand the
difficulties of the transition period in particular.

Again, I apologize for the lengthy email, but want to sincerely thank
you for all your help and patience! I look forward to hearing the
to inform my professors of the concepts and improvements you have
suggested me to move forward with!

Warmest thanks,

Amy Kubas
kubasa at my.uwstout.edu