[Nfbwv-talk] Message from Anil Lewis

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Fri Oct 7 18:12:25 UTC 2011

It is time to fight for Fair Wages for People with Disabilities, H.R.
3086.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

We need to mobilize and gain quick cosponsor support.  Call and/or
schedule meetings with your Member of Congress immediately and express
your support for H.R. 3086, the Fair Wages for People with Disabilities
Act of 2011.  Our success is dependent on our efforts to respectfully
educate all Members of Congress so that they understand the true
employment capacity of people with disabilities.  Many of our talking
points are listed in the Findings section of the Fair Wages for People
with Disabilities bill.  The text of the bill can be found at:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3086:#
<http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3086:> .  If you secure
an opportunity to speak with the Member or the appropriate staffer,
begin the education by sharing the following three points with them:

1.	The Tools Exist for Competitive Employment of People with
Disabilities.  Most people still believe that people with disabilities
cannot be competitively employed at or above the federal minimum wage.
Rehabilitations services, employment strategies, and adaptive
technologies make it possible for people with even the most significant
disabilities to obtain employment at the federal minimum wage or higher.

1.	It is Illogical for Doubters to Provide Training and/or
Employment.  For years, those entities that have doubted the capacity of
people with disabilities to be competitively employed have been
responsible for providing employment at subminimum wages.  This is
extremely backward logic.  Employers that cannot provide the proper
training and support for people with disabilities to obtain competitive
employment at competitive wages should not be providing training or
employment for people with disabilities.

1.	Removing the Misconception of Incapacity Provides More
Employment Opportunities.  Employment of people with disabilities at
subminimum wages supports the misperception that people with
disabilities are not productive enough to earn competitive wages.  This
misperception is the largest barrier to the real employment of people
with disabilities.  By eliminating the legal contention that people with
disabilities lack capacity for competitive employment, it is affirmed
that when given the proper training, support, and opportunities, people
with disabilities can be competitively employed in a variety of
vocational environments at competitive wages.

We need you to schedule visits in your local districts immediately and
to make your calls to the Member's local and D.C. offices right now.  If
they are willing to cosponsor, refer them to the following staffers:

Office of Representative Cliff Stearns (Republican, Sponsor)

James Thomas, Legislative Director/O&I Policy Coordinator

Phone: (202) 225-5744

Office of Representative Tim Bishop (Democrat, Lead Cosponsor)

Joanna Sara, Senior Legislative Assistant

Phone: (202) 225-3826

After you have had your visit or made your call, please provide me with
the following information:

Which Member of Congress?

Which State?

Who did you speak to?

Ask the question, "Will the Member cosponsor the Fair Wages for People
with Disabilities legislation?"  What was their response?

(  ) I was only able to express my support.

(  ) The Member would like to co-sponsor

(  ) The Member needs to research the issue.

(  ) The Member can not support this legislation.

(  ) Other: Explain________________________________

Please contact me if you have any questions.  Also, feel free to refer
the staffers directly to me (my contact information is at the end of
this e-mail).

We have been working toward this goal since the founding of our
organization.  The time is now for us to fight for Fair Wages for People
with Disabilities, H.R. 3086.

Sincerely,

Anil

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.

Director of Strategic Communications

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"

http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Fair_Wages_For_Workers_With_Disabilities.asp

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230