[Nfbwv-talk] Mentoring

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Wed Feb 22 18:18:26 UTC 2012

Maybe I need to learn how to insert smiles into my messages!

I have known Sheri a long time and was, of course, giving her a good-natured
hard time in my "resolute" sort of way.

If she chooses to retire next year--or at any other time, for that
matter--she certainly has the right to do so.  If I had tried to work within
the framework of a bureaucracy for as long as she has, I would probably be
happy to retire as soon as it became possible.  Regardless of when she
chooses to step down, she has managed to infuse the DRS training programs
with a lot of positive ideas, many of which have grown out of her experience
as a Federationist.  When she leaves her position, it will likely fall to
those of us in the NFB who try to monitor the performance of state agencies
to do what we can to ensure that DRS continues on the positive course that
Sheri has set.  I just hope that whoever succeeds her is equally committed
to the goals and objectives she has envisioned for the programs she
oversees.

The truth is that when she retires--as she has indicated that she plans to
do--we will probably adopt a resolution commending her for all she has done
for the training and rehabilitation of blind West Virginians.  Nevertheless,
I'd still kinda like to "deplore and condemn" her for leaving.

Somehow I knew when I wrote my original message that I might eventually need
to clean it up.

Cordially,

Ed

PS: For those who are relatively new to the Federation, perhaps I should add
that "deplore and condemn" is a phrase which we have used in resolutions
over the years to express our extreme displeasure with the most despicable
behavior of an individual or an agency.  Back in the "bad old days" when our
relations with many agencies around the country were much more adversarial
than they are today, we did a lot more "deploring and condemning" than we do
now.  It's a little like bringing out your biggest guns to fight a verbal
battle.  Nevertheless, I suspect it still makes a few of us old-timers smile
just a bit when we have an opportunity to deplore and condemn something or
someone whose behavior has been particularly offensive to us as blind
people.

Glory, Glory Federation!!!