[Nfbwv-talk] AGENCY PARTNERSHIP INFORMATION

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Thu Jul 19 19:59:57 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists:

Below is a message which I have shared with individuals who regularly
participate in our Agency Partnership meetings. I thought perhaps some of
you who are not part of that distribution list might be interested. If you
plan to be in Barboursville on Thursday, August 2, you are welcome to attend
the meeting. Just be sure to let me know if you want lunch. Apologies to
those of you who are receiving this for the second time.

Ed

the Blind of West Virginia, will be held Thursday, August 2, 9:00 AM to 2:30
PM, in the Violet Room, Holiday Inn and Suites, 3551 Route 60 East,
Barboursville, WV. It is the opening event of the organization's 2012 state
convention.

I am pleased to announce that the featured speaker will be Michael
Hingson--long-time Federationist; 9-11 survivor; and author of the New York
Times best-seller, "Thunder Dog, A Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph
of Trust at Ground Zero". We are honored to have Michael with us as a
participant in this year's convention, and I am sure his remarks will be
informative and inspirational. If you have not read the book, I can
certainly recommend doing so. If you do not have it, I suspect you will be
able to pick up an autographed copy at the meeting. We are grateful to the
Teubert Foundation, the Cabell County Public Library, the West Virginia
Department of Education and the Arts, and the West Virginia Library
Commission for partnering with us to bring Michael to the state.

We will also hear a report on a variety of current issues and concerns in
the field of blindness from a national perspective, presented by Amy Buresh,
a member of the Federation's national board of directors. Buresh is
president of the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska and works as a
rehabilitation counselor with the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and
Visually Impaired. She is the national representative at this year's
convention and will deliver the keynote address at our Saturday-evening
banquet.

In addition, the agenda will include the usual opportunity for program
updates from each of the participating agencies.

A deli buffet lunch will be available for those attending the meeting for a
registration fee of $13. The hotel has requested a "head count" in order to
prepare an appropriate amount of food for the buffet. Therefore, if you plan
to attend the meeting and wish to join us for lunch, please let me know by
the end of the day on Thursday, July 26. Registration fees will be collected
at the meeting and need not be submitted in advance.

Some of you may also wish to attend our technology workshop and exhibit on
Friday, August 3, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, also at the Holiday Inn and Suites.
Thus far, we know that participants will include AFBTECH, GW Micro, the
Michael Hingson Group, and the WV Library Commission. Technology
presentations and demonstrations will be offered in a workshop setting
between 9:00 AM and noon, and exhibitors will be staffing their respective
tables between 12:00 and 5:00 PM. If you know of blind individuals or
professionals in the blindness field who might be interested in this event,
please spread the word.

For those who may be interested, Michael Hingson will also be speaking on
Thursday afternoon at 4:00 at the Cabell County Public Library in downtown
Huntington. This event is free and open to the public. In addition, he will
be offering two presentations on Monday, August 6, at the Culture Center in
Charleston. Details on the Charleston events are available from the West
Virginia Library Commission.

If you are new to the Agency Partnership program or simply have questions
about the meeting, please feel free to get in touch with me. My contact
information appears below.

We look forward to an exciting productive meeting on August 2 in
Barboursville and hope all of you can join us.

Cordially,
Ed McDonald, First Vice-President
Agency Partnership Chairman
151 S. Mineral Street