[Nfbwv-talk] WVSD&B STORY ON PUBLIC RADIO TODAY

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Oct 9 18:56:41 UTC 2012

Ed,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

From: Nfbwv-talk [mailto:nfbwv-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Ed
McDonald
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 4:44 PM
To: NFB of West Virginia Discussion List
Cc: wvsb alumni info list
Subject: [Nfbwv-talk] WVSD&B STORY ON PUBLIC RADIO TODAY

West Virginia Public Radio earlier today ran a feature story about the
ten-year Comprehensive Education Facilities Plan (CEFP) for the Schools
for
the Deaf and Blind. The plan was approved last week by the State Board
of
Education.

The story was produced by reporter Cecelia Mason and was based primarily

upon an interview with superintendent Lynn Boyer. It also included a
brief
excerpt from a telephone interview which Mason conducted with me about
three
weeks ago. In preparing the story, Mason also interviewed Debbi
Williamson,
president of the School for the Blind Alumni Association, but she
apparently
chose not to include any of that interview in the story.

Needless to say, the story focuses primarily upon provisions of the plan

itself, with comparatively little attention given to the concerns which
were
expressed during the public hearing.

Below is the text of the piece. You should also be able to find an audio

version at

www.wvpubcast.org/news

It should appear near the top of the list of current West Virginia
stories
with a link to "audio."

I do not know at this time when the state School Building Authority is
scheduled to consider the matter of funding the project.

Ed

#########################

Schools for Deaf and Blind changes approved

By Cecelia Mason

October 8, 2012 * The State Board of Education approved a plan to revamp
the
West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind during its monthly meeting
last
week.

If the 10-year comprehensive plan is fully implemented it will mean
major
changes to the campus in Romney and in the school's mission.

An education department audit done two years ago showed a variety of
problems at the schools, so in July of 2011 the State School Board hired
Dr.
Lynn Boyer as superintendent and gave her the task of correcting these
problems.

Boyer said the audit found buildings that are deteriorated and out of
date
and a need to update the curriculum to meet state standards.

"They didn't see current materials, they didn't see sufficient
technology,
they interviewed and observed teachers teaching without relevance to the

content standards in the state," Boyer said. "The organizational
leadership
was somewhat in disarray so they did not believe that it was an
efficient
and effective organizational structure."

In an effort to address concerns in the audit the school has put
together it's
first-ever 10-year comprehensive plan.

"And we had to talk about 'what is it we do now and what we want to do
in 10
years? What do we want the children to have access to?'" Boyer said.
"How do
we believe we can design a campus that will be more accessible for them,

that will make it more of a community for them?"

Boyer said one goal is to retain some of the school's history while
accommodating technology and amenities like health and wellness
facilities
that many other schools across the nation offer.

Currently there are 19 buildings on the campus, eight of which are not
used.
There are three education buildings and two freestanding dormitories.
They
range in age with the oldest dating to 1845 and the newest to 1992.

"As it's designed now, even though it's always been a campus for
children
who are blind as well as deaf, the design of the campus is really
difficult
for them to navigate," Boyer said.

"With the change in the use of some buildings we have some children who
are
blind who are now in the position to traverse across curbed walkways
which
are not the easiest for them and some distance, 10 to 15 minutes
walking,
several times a day."

The plan calls for drastic and controversial changes that would
completely
alter the look of the campus and how it functions. Boyer said many of
the
older buildings can't accommodate modern educational equipment or meet
the
needs of today's students.

"The intention is to have a campus that is 21st century, that
incorporates
all the design features that we know these children need with classrooms

that we know will enhance their learning," Boyer said.

It would cost an estimated $75 to $80 million to implement the plan in
its
entirety. At least 11 buildings would be torn down and a set of new
buildings would be erected over the next ten years. Some alumni are
concerned that the school will tear down buildings and not have the
money to
build new ones, making it possible to justify closing the school.

1968 graduate, and First Vice President for the National Federation of
the
Blind West Virginia, Ed McDonald, said both blind and deaf alumni are
also
worried that the plan calls for the two student populations to share
some
facilities.

"Because communication can be difficult between the two populations that

based on some past experience opens up the possibility for possible
bullying, that kind of thing," McDonald said. "But even more than that I

think just to maintain the integrity and the specialization of the two
instructional programs causes some concern."

Boyer said the school does not intend to have blind and deaf students in
the
classrooms at the same time, and it will be important to make sure
children
who are basically unable to communicate with each other are not bullied.

And she emphasizes that closing the school is not part of the plan.
Boyer
believes a new, modern campus will help increase enrollment and make
sending
a child to school there more appealing.

"Because of the design of the campus, because of the age of the
buildings,
the instructional options within the way the buildings are designed now,
we
have families who come and counties who would like to place children
here
who are not absolutely assured that the education this child would get
here
is comparable to what they would get in the county," Boyer said.

Currently there are about 125 students on the Romney campus. The school
also
provides educational resources for counties with blind and deaf
students.
Boyer said the plan calls for ramping up the educational outreach and
technical assistance that's offered throughout the state.

"One of the buildings will be repurposed to be a center for excellence
in
teaching and learning for these populations," Boyer said. "We'll be
doing
professional development there. We'll be repurposing it so it's
hospitality,
career option, we'll be training students there."

The plan calls for renovating the dorms so teachers who come for
professional development will have a place to stay, and for space where
higher education institutions can locate satellite programs.

Boyer said the next step is to find money to implement the plan. The
School
Building Authority has made several visits to look at the campus and she

anticipates needing a campaign to raise private money as well. Boyer
said as
the school moves forward it may also have to alter the plan to address
concerns by alumni and the community.