[Nfbwv-talk] Interesting PAC Statistic...

Marcus Soulsby msoulsby at suddenlink.net
Thu Oct 11 23:27:30 UTC 2012

Folks,

Speaking of PAC...

As PAC Coordinator, I have seen many lists of rankings come by and often
wondered how each state ranks in other ways besides just raw dollar amounts,
as the National lists them.  Like many of you, I am aware that it seems like
the larger (and perhaps wealthier) states enjoy a major advantage in these
rankings.  So I got my wheels turning.

One day I started wondering about what is an affiliate's rate of what I call
"absolute participation" - that is, how well are they doing on the list
regardless of their state's population?  So I decided to sit down an whittle
out this little chart (attached above) that simply takes each
state/terrirory's current population (2010 census) and divide that by the
number of PAC participants in that state.  Then, to save a lot of zeros, I
divided again by 1 million to get the PPPP *PAC Participants Par Population)
to see the number of PAC pledges per million in that state.

In other words, the PPPP (last column) is the number of PAC participants per
million people a state/affiliate claims.

As you can see, the list yields very different results than the usual order
and pattern of states as we are accustomed to seeing them.  You may be
surprised where we and some other affiliates land here.,

(NITE:  In case you were wondering, for states with less than a million, the
math still works out.  For example, if a state like Vermont has 500,000
people and 3 participants, their PPPP comes out to 6, because that is what
they would have if they had a million, all other things constant.)

Just thought this might be interesting.  I had used numbers that came out
before this month's release so they aren't the most current, but still
something to ponder.