[Nfbwv-talk] BRAILLE PLAYS A ROLE IN SESQUICENTENNIAL

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Mon Jun 24 18:39:36 UTC 2013

While big splashy sesquicentennial celebrations took place around the state
last week in places like Charleston and Wheeling, some of us marked the
occasion in a more modest way.

On the afternoon of June 20 some fifty people gathered on the courthouse
lawn in downtown Keyser to ring bells, sing songs, eat birthday cake, and
listen to five local residents speak about why they are proud to be West
Virginians.

Then yesterday afternoon the Mineral County Historical Society (of which I
am currently vice-president) held a special program at the American Legion
hall in Keyser. We also had music and birthday cake, and the featured
speaker--local Civil War reenactor Jim Goldsworthy--discussed the impact of
the war on the area which is now Mineral County.

Our own Karen McDonald provided music for both events. On Thursday she sang
"My Home among the Hills" as an unaccompanied solo, and she led the group in
singing all four verses of "The West Virginia Hills." Yesterday she sang
"West Virginia Hills" as a solo, with everyone joining in on the final
chorus. In both instances she used Braille to read the lyrics. Of course,
she made no mention of the fact that she was reading Braille, but everyone
who watched and listened was aware of it. It was just another way in which
the public gets to see Braille at work in a practical way.

Oh, by the way--as you would expect--the performances were superb! The
presentation of "My Home among the Hills" was especially moving, garnering
sustained applause from the crowd on the courthouse lawn.

In case you really want to know more, below is a story about Thursday's
event from the "Mineral Daily News Tribune."

Proud to be a West Virginian,

Ed

  Mineral Countians ring bells for the Sesquicentennial

Tribune photo by Liz Beavers
  Mineral County prosecuting attorney Jay Courrier, dressed as Gov.
Pierpont, and Mineral County commissioner Richard Lechliter ring the bell at
1:50 p.m.  Thursday to mark the moment West Virginia became a state 150
years ago.

 KEYSER - "This is a day to celebrate and in West Virginia, we have a lot to
celebrate," David Webb told the crowd gathered in the shade on the Mineral
County Courthouse lawn Thursday to mark the 150th anniversary of the
Mountain State.
  Webb, who served as master of ceremonies for the program, ticked off a
long list of personalities, places, and events which call West Virginia
home.
  He then introduced Keyser resident Karen McDonald, whom he called Sen.
Joe Manchin's favorite singer, to perform "Home Among the Hills" a capella.
  Five Mineral County residents then spoke briefly about why they are proud
to be a West Virginian.
  Carpendale mayor Butch Armentrout talked about the many West Virginia
veterans who have served their country with honor, and urged anyone
traveling to Charleston to "take a few minutes to go out on the north lawn
of the capitol" to see the veterans memorial there.
  Keyser resident Kim Rolls talked about the many people whom have touched
her life as she grew up, including teacher Mary Taylor, whom she said was
"the only white teacher who would come to Lincoln School" when one of the
teachers needed a substitute.
  Mineral County commissioner Dr.  Richard Lechliter, told the crowd, "I
love this state because of the people, the land and the history."
  Retired educator Jennie Shaffer spoke next, noting that, "I am a student
and teacher of history, and I look back with pride on the history of West
Virginia."
  The fifth speaker was Logan Pfaff, a young man from the Frankfort area who
told the crowd, "It is a privilege to call myself a West Virginian."
  Mineral County prosecuting attorney Jay Courrier, dressed as Gov.  Francis
Pierpont, known as "the Father of West Virginia," delivered the address
which explained the differences between Virginia and the "Reconstructed
State of Virginia," which eventually became West Virginia.
  Courrier then joined Lechliter in ringing the bell at precisely 1:50
.m.  - marking the moment West Virginia became a state.
  The crowd enthusiastically joined in with their bells - ranging from
little decorative porcelain bells to big metal cow bells - filling the air
with the sounds of celebration.
  The event was topped off with birthday cake for everyone.