[Nfbwv-talk] Hall Of Honor Story

Karen McDonald karen at eioproductions.com
Wed Oct 30 01:19:51 UTC 2013

I thought you all might want to see the front-page article from
our local newspaper, the Mineral Daily News Tribune.  I am
sending this just as it appeared on the newspaper's website.

 The National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia got a new
member in 1969 - Edgar McDonald.  What they didn't know at the
time was that they had gained a loyal member who would bring
about great change over the next 44 years.  It is McDonald's hard
work and dedication that recently earned him an induction into
the National Federation of the Blind's Hall of Honors.  McDonald
says the induction meant a lot to him because it is people he has
worked with and been friends with over the years who voted him
in.  "The fact that they think enough of me to vote for me means
a lot; it's significant," he said.  McDonald says it has meant a
great deal to him to be involved in the organization.  "I learned
about being blind as a political issue rather than a medical
one," he said.  McDonald said that he has tried to change social
"barriers" and the public's view on the blind.  "I came to
understand that by talking to other blind people and working
collectively, you get more done.  "Getting more done is exactly
what McDonald has done in his years of service to the
organization.  McDonald served as president of the West Virginia
affiliate from 1991 to 2002.  Under his leadership, Newsline for
the Blind was brought to West Virginia with the addition of the
Huntington Herald Dispatch.  McDonald was also a driving force in
getting the Braille Bill pushed through the West Virginia
Legislature and signed into law.  McDonald also had the
distinction of serving on the national board of the National
Federation of the Blind form 1994 to 1997.  He currently serves
as chairperson of the Agency Partnership Committee and is also
serving as the first vice-president of the National Federation
and as president of the Members at Large Chapter.  "It's humbling
in a way," says McDonald.  "But now that I got that to live up
to; if I don't step it up they might kick me out," he laughts.
McDonald's nomination said he was an integral and essential part
of the Federation family and most deserving of the honor for
changing what it means to be blind.  For McDonald, that is just a
part of everyday life.  "I try to live my life in a way that says
I am blind and still out living my life.  "Being blind is a part
of my life, a big part," says McDonald, "but I am not a blind
guy, I am a guy who happens to be blind."