[Nfbwv-talk] Self-Defense

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Fri Apr 18 15:34:00 UTC 2014

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

Mr. Rob Watson contacted me a week ago to let me know of the self-defense training he offers and he was wondering if this might be something members in our organization might want to learn.  I informed him that if he E-mailed me the information, I would pass it on to all of you.

You will notice in his message that he will travel to teach these classes.

Also, is this something any of you would like to either see on our convention agenda or as an activity on possibly Friday afternoon?  If so, there will probably be a registration fee to cover his charge.  I know that not much could be learned in such a short time, but it might be something interesting to do.

Charlene

Blind self defense

Barbarian Jeet KuneDo

Contact Information

Name of business: Barbarian Jeet-Kune-Do

My Name: Instructor Robert Lee Watson

Phone number: (304) 685- 4618

Email: bjkd.libra77 at gmail.com

Address: 462 Dunkard Ave West Over, WV 26501

History of my business:

I opened my first gym, The Art of Self Defense, in 2003 on Chestnut st in Morgantown WV. I recently relocated to 462 Dunkard Ave in West Over WV a little over a year and a half ago. I learned Tae Kwon Do and Jeet Kune Do from one of Bruce Lee's students, Danny Anasanto, and one of Danny Anasanto's pupils. I studied Jeet Kune Do for 3 years and Tae Kwon Do for 4 years.  I also learned a few Shaolin arts from a friend that was related to a monk, who was certified to teach Shaolin Iron head, Monkey fist, Shaolin shadow boxing, Snake style boxing, and drunken style boxing.  After studying the Shaolin Arts I intensified my training with Jeet Kune Do to develop the skills necessary to redirect any attacks so you are always in control of the situation via defense.

What you teach:

I teach the following arts so they complement each other.

·         Jeet Kune Do

·         Wing chun

·         Muay Tai

·         Aikido

·         Greco Roman Wrestling

·         Judo Tsu

·         Snake style boxing

·         Drunken style

·         Shaolin shadow boxing

·         Monkey fist

·         Shaolin iron head

Benefits to the blind of learning self-defense:

·         Build courage, confidence and comfort by being prepared to respond in a natural way to any dangerous situation.

·         Heighten senses and responses

·         Maintain emotional, spiritual, and physical health as well as focus.

·         Being able to feel comfortable knowing they can control their self so they can control any situation.

·         Build a sense of happiness and knowledge through the process of maturity and prosperity of tolerance.

·         The guardian will have a sense of peace knowing their friend/family member can properly defend themselves.

·         Help build independence or remain independent.

·         Will be able to disarm weapons and reverse them

Class times:

·         Gym hours:

Monday - Friday 12pm-4pm

*Call for other hours (can meet until 8pm)

*If I travel I am on your time

Cost of classes:

·         If I travel to you (in- state)

o   1-3 days: $30 per person

o   7-13 days: $50 per person

o   1 month: $70 per person

·         If I travel to you (out- of - state)

o   $100 per person (flat rate)

·         Gym location Prices (12pm-4pm)

o   1 month: $0-$30 per person

§  Will graduate with certification

Required Equipment:

·         Mouth guard

·         Matted area if possible if I am traveling to you.

***PLEASE NOTE***

EVERYONE MUST DISCLOSE ANY DIAGNOSES OR INJURIES FOR SAFETY PURPOSES