[Nfbwv-talk] President Mark Riccobono's Notebook

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Apr 28 17:37:30 UTC 2015

NFB President's Notebook - week of 04/27/15

National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It is hard to believe that April is almost through. Amongst the forward-looking activities of the Federation, there is always a need to stop to make sure all of our housekeeping business is in order. I note that seven affiliates still have banking information from 2014 to provide to the national office. And many are behind on the first quarter of 2015. I encourage all affiliate leaders to make sure that their records with the national office are up-to-date. If we're going to build our organization, we want to make sure the house we invite people into is clean, tidy, and welcoming.

News:

PetSmart lawsuit:

A class action lawsuit, accusing PetSmart, Inc. of violating the rights of blind customers under the ADA, was filed on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind<http://www.nfb.org/>, the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition (CCDC), and six blind individuals who reside in Colorado, Texas, and Massachusetts. The suit alleges that PetSmart requires the entry of debit card PINs on touch-screen keypads, which the blind cannot operate, rather than simple, inexpensive tactile keypads.

JAWS training bundle:
We are now the exclusive seller of the JAWS Training Bundle developed by Freedom Scientific<http://freedomscientific.com/>. It is sold on cartridges designed for use with the free DAISY playback equipment available from the NLS.

Anne Taylor:
Anne is joining Microsoft as a senior program manager in the Trusted Experience Team. She will start there May 26. Her last day at the Jernigan Institute will be May 15.

Dates to keep in mind:

*         Spring affiliate conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

*         May 14-16, 2015: NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH), COSI

*         June 7, 2015: NFB 6 DOT DASH

*         July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

*         August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM EQ

*         September 11-13, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

*         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

*         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230