[Nfbwv-talk] April Braille Monitor Available

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Apr 29 17:49:16 UTC 2015

April 2015 Braille Monitor

The April edition of the Braille Monitor is filled with problems, possibilities, hope and outstanding examples of leadership.

Some of the problems we encounter are frustrating and take years to solve.  The article ?The Deaf-blind Dilemma? by Cathy Guillory Miller offers insight to help us understand the communication difficulties and attitudinal barriers that deaf-blind people face.  As Cathy Guillory Miller explains, ?We will not overcome the damage that history has done unless we first understand what will be required to heal the wounds.?

There is rarely an issue of the Monitor that does not contain at least one article about non-visual access to technologies and websites.  The April edition is no exception.   Curtis Chong expresses our deep frustration with the lack of progress in his article entitled ?Accessibility at Microsoft: More Challenges than Victories.?

Donna Hill, a blind author, also expressed her frustration with the lack of access to eBooks in the article entitled ?Local Author to Be Featured in ABA Journal.?  Hill was outraged when she discovered that the promise of over 40 million books contained in the Scribd electronic library was denied to her.  The National Federation of the Blind took action.  I am sure a future edition of the Braille Monitor will describe our recent victory in this case.

For decades blind persons have been vigilant in protecting the right to use a guide dog in public accommodations.  Congratulations to Donald Porterfield and the Arizona affiliate for their prompt action to kill a bill that would have severely limited access to restaurants for blind persons who use dog guides.  Read ?Service Animal Laws Challenged in Arizona? for the specific details.

There are two articles about outstanding Federation leaders that you will not want to miss.  The article ?Maurer Devotes Career to Serving Blind Americans? by Josh Stowe is especially interesting because it was reprinted from the University of Notre Dame Alumni Association Newsletter.  Jim Omvig?s review of Dr. Joanne Wilson?s many careers is an excellent tribute to her many years of service in the Federation.  Be sure to read ?Dr. Joanne Wilson Retires: Another Jernigan Pioneer Enters a New Phase of Life.?

We are fortunate to have outstanding leaders. With love, hope and determination we will turn the problems illustrated in the Braille Monitor to possibilities of opportunity.  Go to https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1504/bm1504tc.htm .

Sharon Maneki