[Nfbwv-talk] Bre Brown and WBOY

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Jul 27 19:01:40 UTC 2015

Thanks to our Ed McDonald, our Media Relations Chairman, the NFB and Bre Brown has made the news!!!  Ed sent out a news release about Bre having won a national NFB scholarship to newspapers and television stations across West Virginia.  I haven't heard if any newspapers have posted the story but WBOY TV and WDTV did news stories.

In a separate message, I will post the text from WDTV.  Here is the text from WBOY and remember, you can always go online to look to see if they have a link to hear the story.

Bre Brown Following Her Teaching Aspirations in Louisiana

Updated: Jul 24, 2015 6:37 PM EDT
By Mike MarutCONNECT
On July 10, Bre Brown, a 2011 Graduate from Liberty High School, received the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship from the National Federation of the Blind.

Brown has succeeded as a blind student at Texas State University and currently teaches other blind students at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.

"Blind children deserve to know and be taught that they can do what they aspire to do," Brown said. "They can live the life they want. Blindness is simply a characteristic and is not what defines me or my future."

Brown also said that once she started teaching she "felt a satisfaction [she] hadn't felt before."

Brown earned over $14,000 through the scholarship. That money can go towards her education as well as technology and equipment that assists her.