[Nfbwv-talk] President Mark Riccobono's Notebook

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Jun 9 18:36:18 UTC 2015

June 8, 2015
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The excitement is truly building for our 75th Anniversary Convention. We are on the road to breaking records, and I believe the reason is our continued focus on inviting people into the Federation. As you know, our Opportunity Ambassadors have been meeting and sharing techniques for extending our 75 Days of Action into everyday practice for Federationists to recruit new people into our organization. I believe this focus has helped to get a new core of individuals excited about our upcoming convention.

I recently participated in the graduation ceremony at the California School for the Blind where Dr. Newel Perry first began shaping the leaders of our organization, including Dr. tenBroek. It was a powerful reminder how important it is to invest in sharing our perspective with the next generation and helping them to take our work even farther than before. Now that we are into the post Memorial Day period, our NFB BELL programs are in full swing. Those programs are a perfect place to impact the next generation and capture the stories of our impact on youth and families.

I am sincerely looking forward to being with you in Orlando and learning about the work you are doing on the local level to leverage our organizational philosophy and spirit.

Critical actions this week:
Hotel Information:
We've arranged for an NFB hotel block at the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld. The Doubletree is less than a mile from the Rosen Centre and has amenities such as flat-screen televisions and microwaves in the rooms, a swimming pool, and several on-property restaurants. To make a reservation, call 800-327-0363 and ask for group code NFB. Depending on your schedule, room rates will be more expensive on certain days. Rates are $89 for the nights of July 7-9. Rates are $159/night for July 3-6 and $179/night for July 10-11.

Additional rooms may be found at a less expensive rate at the Clarion or the Red Roof Inn. You may call to book a room at the Clarion (800-826-4847) with a king or two queen beds for $110/night. We also have a block of rooms at the Red Roof Inn (407-352-1507 option 4) with a king or two full beds at the rate of $99/night. Both the Clarion and the Red Roof Inn offer a swimming pool, free Wi-Fi, and a microwave. (Some rooms may have a refrigerator.) Both properties are a short walk from the Rosen Centre entrance.

Guinness World Record Attempt:
Please continue to promote our world-record attempt on July 8 and encourage our members attending convention to pledge to participate at https://nfb.org/gwr. If you have contacts, friends, or family in Orlando, please share this event with them and urge them to come raise expectations with us.

News:

Convention Agenda:
The agenda is ready, and available on our website at https://nfb.org/convention.

SuperShuttle at convention:
Once again we have a special rate with SuperShuttle in Orlando. The rates are $16.00 for one-way travel and $28 for round-trip travel to the Rosen Centre and the Rosen Plaza. Make reservations on their website at http://groups.supershuttle.com/nfb75.html to take advantage of the discounted rate.

Video:
In the newest video, NFB member Everette Bacon, president of the National Federation of the Blind of Utah, talks about growing up trying to use his limited vision, the trauma of experiencing employment discrimination when he acknowledged his blindness, and how that experience led him to become involved in the National Federation of the Blind.

Consent Decree with ACCC:

We have entered into a consent decree with Atlantic Cape Community College (ACCC). The consent decree, which resolves allegations by Anthony Lanzilotti and Mitchell Cossaboon of discrimination on the basis of disability, has been filed in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and is subject to court approval. ACCC denies the allegations of discrimination and has admitted no wrongdoing. The agreement requires ACCC to work with a third-party consultant and the National Federation of the Blind to take steps to improve the educational experience of students with disabilities and to prevent discrimination against these students.

Reminders:

Contributions to National Funds:
Remember that on July 9 during the morning session of the convention, we will have the honor roll call of states-a time for affiliates to share contributions with our national organization. Please be thinking about and preparing for your donations.

Dates to keep in mind:

*         July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

*         August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM EQ

*         September 11-13, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

*         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

*         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230