[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Mar 17 15:42:23 UTC 2015

President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314
Dear Fellow Federationists,
This morning I had the opportunity to attend a breakfast presentation by United States Department of Labor Secretary, Tom Perez. It is clear that our advocacy to raise expectations for the blind in employment is making a difference with the policy makers. I hope each of you has turned up the pressure on our TIME legislation so that we can significantly up our co-sponsorships before the end of the month.

I just returned from the convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee. Our affiliate awarded scholarships for the first time to college students who are blind. In Tennessee, one of our local chapters has a relationship with the local university allowing it to provide university students with opportunities to participate in the Federation and grow their leadership capacity. This is a model that other affiliates should consider.

And, speaking of scholarships, there are only two weeks left to encourage students to apply for our national scholarship program.

Critical actions this week:

Bolotin Awards Deadline:

The deadline for submitting a nomination for the 2015 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award is Tuesday, March 31, 2015. For additional information contact Jim Gashel, chairman of the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee at (720) 878-4248 orBolotinAward at nfb.org<mailto:BolotinAward at nfb.org>

News:

Congratulations:
Sachin Dev Pavithran of Logan, Utah, who has been elected unanimously as chair of the United States Access Board. Mr. Pavithran, who has served on the Access Board since his appointment by President Barack Obama in 2012, is program director of the Utah Assistive Technology Program at Utah State University's Center for Persons with Disabilities. Mr. Pavithran is a leader in the National Federation of the Blind of Utah, serving as the affiliate's legislative director and on its board of directors, as well as serving on the NFB's national Research and Development Committee.

Video:
March 14, 2015 was Super Pi Day, because the first few digits of Pi are 3.1415. In last week'svideo<https://youtu.be/OvuYyjXHj3k>, scientist and Federationist Lindsey Yazzolino tells how she memorized around a thousand digits of this infinitely long number by reading it in Braille, and shows off her skills by rattling off most of what she learned! Celebrate Super Pi Day by challenging yourself to do what Lindsey did, or just have some pie!

Dates to keep in mind:

*         <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Spring affiliate conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->March 26-27, 2015: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->May 14-16, 2015: NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH), COSI

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->June 7, 2015: NFB 6 DOT DASH

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM EQ

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->September 11-13, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         < !--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)
Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230