[Nfbwv-talk] President Mark Riccobono's Notebook

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue May 5 15:35:07 UTC 2015

NFB President's Notebook - week of 05/04/15
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I had the pleasure of attending the National Federation of the Blind of Utah convention this past weekend. It was great to participate in such a lively and rich convention. It was also good to find members from at least three other affiliates in attendance in Utah. By sharing with each other, we gain new insight and distribute useful information. During the convention, I learned about the Kohl's Cares - Associates in Action Program that provides volunteer support to nonprofits serving youth and provides financial support. You might want to check out the below link to see if you can use it to build the Federation locally. Everette Bacon, president NFB of Utah, can connect you with parent leaders in Utah who have utilized this program if you need further information.

http://www.kohlscorporation.com/CommunityRelations/Community04.htm

Critical actions this week:
Hotel:
Hotel rooms for national convention are going fast! The Rosen Centre is out of space for the nights of July 8 and 9. Never fear, we have a room block at our overflow hotel, the Rosen Plaza. The Plaza is at the other end of the Orange County Convention Center and there will be shuttle bus service between the two hotels as in previous years. I strongly recommend that Federationists don't wait any longer to reserve themselves a room.

6 Dot Dash:
Although everyone will not be able to join us at our headquarters in Federal Hill to participate in our third annual 6 Dot Dash, anyone can still participate as a virtual runner by registering yourself or your team by May 15 at https://nfb.org/dot-dash. Rather than completing the runner registration information, go directly to the "Enter donation" edit field, and enter the amount of your donation. Then click the "Order Now" link. On the next page you should enter your name, email, credit card and billing information so that we can process your donation. Then under the "Ticket 1 - Donations/Additional Donation" heading, input the name, phone, email, and mailing address of the virtual runner. If you are a member of a team, be sure to enter or select your team name in the drop down after supplying the information requested under the "Other Information" heading.

News:
Guinness World Record:
Join us for an exciting 75th anniversary experience! Be a part of history as the National Federation of the Blind breaks a world record for the largest umbrella mosaic. To participate, you'll need only to open an umbrella on cue and hold it aloft. Our umbrellas, when viewed from above, will form a recognizable mosaic image. Get in on the excitement by going to https://nfb.org/gwr. We will be sending details as they develop to those that have signed up, as well as posting them on our website.

LEGOLand:
LEGOLAND Florida is offering a special discount on park tickets for NFB members. Purchase one adult ticket, and you can get one general admission ticket free! This offer is good for adult, senior, or child general admission tickets for one-day park admission, two-day park admission, one-day waterpark combo, or two-day waterpark combo tickets. The code needed to receive this discount will be given out at the national convention in the suites and at the information desk.

Video:
In today's video<https://youtu.be/drUs9oTfMLo> Ron Brown, vice president of the National Federation of the Blind, tells how he came to terms with his blindness and became involved with the National Federation of the Blind. Watch and listen as Ron explains how he met Immediate Past President Marc Maurer and his wife Patricia, and how he learned that the white cane is a useful tool and a symbol of independence, not a badge of inferiority.

Dates to keep in mind:

*         Spring affiliate conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

*         May 14-16, 2015: NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH), COSI

*         June 7, 2015: NFB 6 DOT DASH

*         July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

*         August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM EQ

*         September 11-13, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

*         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

*         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230