[Nfbwv-talk] Jernigan Raffle Tickets

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Apr 12 13:10:29 UTC 2016

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

As most of you are aware, we established the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund at our 1998 convention in Dallas, Texas. The support from members and friends has been both generous and enthusiastic. The committee is again sponsoring a limited edition raffle to raise money for the Kenneth Jernigan Fund. The ticket cost is ten dollars. This drawing will yield at least $10,000 net for the Kenneth Jernigan Fund.

You might ask, "What's in it for me?" Here is what's in it for you. If you are the winner of this drawing, you will receive round-trip air transportation for two to and from Orlando, Florida, for the National Federation of the Blind National Convention in July 2017. You will also receive lodging at that year's convention hotel for seven days during the convention. You will receive registration and banquet tickets for two. In addition, you will receive a cash prize of $1,000. On the other hand, if you don't win but you sell the winning ticket, your chapter will receive $500. You do not have to be present to win.

I am not going to mail tickets to each chapter to sell as I do not want to take the chance that they might get lost in the mail as we are responsible for paying for any tickets that aren't submitted.  Instead, if you would like to purchase some tickets, please send your money/check to me so I can submit it along with your tickets when I attend national convention.  As I will not be submitting the tickets and the money to the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Fund Committee until July, please make any checks payable to me, Charlene Smyth, so you will not have an outstanding check for so many months.  I will then cash your check and put the money with your ticket stub, which I will complete for you, and submit to the committee.  My mailing address is:

401 East Olive Street
Apartment 1-A
Bridgeport, WV  26330

(Please do not make your check payable to the NFBWV as it will make more work for Marcus who will have to deposited into our state account and then Marcus will have to issue a check to me.)

Please be assured that I will endorse the back of the ticket stubs with your chapter name so the committee can send your chapter $500 should the ticket you purchased be the winner.

The committee is counting on West Virginia to help build the Kenneth Jernigan Fund so we can accomplish the goals
Dr. Jernigan set forth for us.

I am also counting on all of you to help me sell all of our allotted tickets so West Virginia can be proud that we did our part to support our national movement.  We usually receive 60 tickets.  As we have six chapters, it would be greatly appreciated if all chapters could sell/purchase ten tickets.

Chapter presidents and board members, please discuss this further with your chapter members and keep me updated.

If possible, I would like to sell all tickets by June 1 so I can have time to have a sighted person help me fill out your tickets.

I sincerely appreciate all of you and all you do for our affiliate.  We wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for all of us working together.