[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for February 8, 2016

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Feb 9 16:32:15 UTC 2016

February 8, 2016
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I sometimes say that progress is more like the speed of trees than like the speed of light. Yet, there are moments when things happen that make the changes seem almost instantaneous. Last week, we had one of those moments. And long-time Federationists will recognize that it is the progress of committed work over time rather than a lucky victory. Under the leadership of our Immediate Past President Marc Maurer, we secured a landmark victory in an employment case dealing with the question of fair wages. This is simply another component of our unraveling of the long-standing low expectations that limit workers with disabilities. Take a moment to review the tremendous decision in this case. However, do not relax yet, it is almost a certainty that the decision will be challenged. Although the tide of fair wages has great momentum, we need to keep the pressure on, stay committed, and finish the work we started in 1940.

News:

Landmark Decision Ordering Fair Pay from Sheltered Workshop:
Last week an administrative law judge from the U.S. Department of Labor awarded minimum wages going forward and back pay to three clients from Seneca Re-Ad, a sheltered workshop run by the Seneca County Board of Developmental Disabilities. The opinion can be downloaded<http://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/u62/Decision_and_Order_from_the_ALJ_re_Seneca%20Re-AD.pdf> from Disability Rights Ohio website. More information can be found in the press release<https://nfb.org/disability-rights-ohio-national-federation-blind-and-autistic-self-advocacy-network-celebrate>.

Presidential Release:
The February Presidential Release now available at https://nfb.org/presidential-releases.

Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award:
The deadline to submit applications for the Distinguished Educator of Blind Students award is May 1, 2016. More information can be found in the Braille Monitor article<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1511/bm151117.htm>.

FCC Extends Waiver of Advanced Communications Services Accessibility Requirements for Basic Ereaders:
The National Federation of the Blind has consistently opposed the FCC waiver given to ereader manufacturers. We have examined closely the permanent waiver as well as the limitations of the CVAA. We believe that this waiver only applies to a very narrow set of devices which are not gaining significant market share. I wanted you to be aware of this waiver in case questions come up from members.
Links to the Waiver Extension Order:
Word: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-113A1.doc
PDF: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-113A1.pdf
Text: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-113A1.txt

Dates to keep in mind:

*        March 3-5: NFB STEM2U San Francisco

*        March 31: NFB Scholarship Program application deadline, https://nfb.org/scholarships

*        March 31-April 1: 2016 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium<https://nfb.org/law-symposium>; Diversity in the Disability Rights Movement: Working Together to Achieve the Right to Live in the World

*        April 15: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Program nomination deadline, https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main

*        May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award application deadline

*        May 17-20: BLAST, Chicago

*        May 19-21: NFB STEM2U Minneapolis

*        June 19-25: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*        June 30-July 5: National Federation of the Blind Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Florida

*        July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

*        August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org<http://www.wbu-icevi2016.org>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place