[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for July 11, 2016

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Jul 12 14:22:23 UTC 2016

July 11, 2016
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Thank you to all of the leaders of the Federation after an outstanding 2016 NFB Convention. It seems like the leaders of the Federation find a way every year to make the convention smoother, to find new ways to build, and to make the convention a welcoming place. Our host committee-led by our presidents from Louisiana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Utah-did a great job of taking care of the family business and making the convention warm and fun. Dozens of new activities added new elements to the convention. Many thoughtful conversations helped to shape our direction and apply our philosophy in new ways. Thank you for doing what you do and for being open to your own personal growth within our movement.
Finally, I thank you for the confidence and trust you have placed in me. The opportunity to serve this movement is an honor and a challenge that continues to enrich my life. I appreciate that we have a dynamic and committed team and I look forward to our work together in the coming years.

Critical Actions This Week:

Only a Few Days Left - Comments Needed on Web Access:
As you know, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has issued a Supplemental Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SANPRM) on the question of whether technical standards for web accessibility under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are needed to enable people with disabilities to access the services, programs, and activities offered on state and local government websites. The answer, of course, is yes; we need technical standards, and we need your help to make it happen. Please use the webform, https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm/comments, to submit your comments to DOJ. For technical assistance, please contact Kyle Walls at kwalls at nfb.org<mailto:kwalls at nfb.org>.

News:

Links to convention material are available:

Presidential Report<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.htmlhttps:/nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.htmlhttps:/nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.html>

Resolutions<https://nfb.org/2016-resolutions>

Banquet Speech<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banquet-speech-2016.html>

Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards Presented:

On Tuesday, July 5, the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award was presented to those listed below for their outstanding contributions toward achieving the full integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality. More information about the award winners and their contributions can be found in the press release.

Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement, Inc. - $5,000 award

Oskar & Klaus Publishing - $10,000 award

Winston Chen - $15,000 award

Semitic Scholars - $20,000 award

Videos:
To celebrate Jerry & Merilyn Whittle's Jacobus tenBroek Award, Jerry's video has been re-released this week. It can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMY5VPIsBpg.

Last week's video is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzw_wEBFYdU. Dana Ard shares the story of her first teacher and role model, a Federation leader.

Reminders:
Braille Monitor:
The Braille Monitor is available in Braille, print, and narrated audio on a flash drive readable with an NLS player. To subscribe, send an email to slittle at nfb.org<mailto:slittle at nfb.org>. Please include your address, telephone number, email address, and the form in which you would like our publication.

Division Boards:
Changes to each division's board should be communicated to Beth Braun in my office by email at bbraun at nfb.org<mailto:bbraun at nfb.org> or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2369. Please pass this information along to the leadership of divisions in which you are a member.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy held at forty-six sites throughout the nation. More information at https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

*        July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

*        August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

*        August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org<http://www.wbu-icevi2016.org>

Keep building,

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind