[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for July 18, 2016

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Jul 19 15:53:54 UTC 2016

July 18, 2016
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I recently had a conversation with a member about her chapter and how the only thing ever discussed is fundraising. As you know, fundraising is vital to our success but we do have to make sure it is combined with real program activity. We should seek new ways for our chapters and affiliates to be out in the community taking on projects. We might consider using our affiliate leadership list as a means of sharing what new things are happening across the country to create programs in our chapters.

I hope that each of you are enjoying the summer and are fully rested after our national convention.

Critical Actions This Week:

Department of Defense Regulations:
At the national convention, we mentioned that we are gathering comments related to a recent Department of Defense Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would negatively impact the business interests of blind entrepreneurs. We are submitting comments in support of blind businessmen/women, and we need your input.  Please use the following link to customize a letter expressing your support: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/NVv5BZcWYGOtx.

Speaking of public comments, we have extended the deadline to July 31 for comments promoting web accessibility to the Department of Justice for the Supplemental Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. Please submit your DOJ SANPRM comments here: https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm/comments.

Each of these exercises will take just a few minutes. Please help us speak in our collective voice on behalf of blind people across the nation regarding these important, time-sensitive issues.

News:
Fundraising Opportunity:
We received information about the following service. It appears to be most appropriate for use by affiliates or chapters so we are forwarding the information. We have not fully vetted this resource, but it looks like it has merit. If chapters use this resource, I encourage sharing information about the success of the effort. GroupRaise is a free tool for organizing restaurant fundraisers. Simply choose a restaurant in one of the over three hundred cities where GroupRaise is active, and set up your fundraiser. When people participating in your fundraiser mention to their server that they're there supporting your organization, you'll receive a percentage of the proceeds. GroupRaise provides an event RSVP page for you to use to promote your fundraiser. For more information and to see a list of restaurants in your area, visit www.groupraise.com<http://www.groupraise.com>.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy held at forty-six sites throughout the nation. More information at https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

*        July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

*        August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

*        August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org<http://www.wbu-icevi2016.org>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place