[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for July 25, 2016

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Jul 26 15:12:07 UTC 2016

July 25, 2016
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

There was a time during the history of our organization when the weeks following the national convention were somewhat slow and, therefore, a good time to review the operation of the organization. The pattern of relative quiet after the national convention changed in the early part of this century. This is evidenced this year by the buzz of NFB BELL Academy participants in our building, the preparation for our NFBEQ program, our hosting the Maryland Department of Disabilities ADA event tomorrow, and our work to host the general assembly of the World Blind Union and International Council for the Education of the Visually Impaired next month. However, this time of year-despite the schedule-does tend to be a time for review of the organization's operations.
In that spirit, I am interested in gathering reflections from our affiliate presidents. Please consider the following brief questions and take a moment if you are interested in sharing your perspective. I would appreciate your ideas. Send your thoughts to me at officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>. These questions are targeted at presidents, but anyone receiving the notebook is encouraged to share his or her perspective.

1.       How can the national organization more effectively facilitate communication and sharing of information across the organization?

2.       What is the greatest barrier you are facing in your affiliate?

3.       What would be most useful to you in improving affiliate-building at the local level?
Thank you for your work to make our organization stronger, better, and more dynamic every day.

Critical Actions This Week

Chapter President Listserv:
Please make sure to update the chapter president listserv with Dave Andrews by sending him the name, email address, and action necessary for each chapter president that you would like him to add or remove. The chapter president list is a good way for us to communicate specifically to, and directly with, your chapter presidents. You may send emails with this information to Dave at david.andrews at nfbnet.org<mailto:david.andrews at nfbnet.org>. Upcoming communications regarding membership and Meet the Blind Month require that the list is updated as quickly as possible. Please make every effort to do so by the end of the month.

Chapter Contact & Meeting Information:
Please make sure to send an updated chapter list to Danielle Trevino with the following information: chapter name, chapter president contact information, chapter meeting day and time, and chapter meeting location and address. The lists will be used to update the chapter locator on the NFB Connect app. Please use the following format when sending your updates to Danielle:

Boomer Sooner Chapter

Heather McEver, Chapter President

hmcever at nfbok.org<mailto:hmcever at nfbok.org>

405-123-4567

3rd Saturday of each month

Norman Public Library

415 West Gray

Norman, OK 73059

Send your updated affiliate chapter list to Danielle at dtrevino at nfb.org<mailto:dtrevino at nfb.org>.

News:

Scholarship Winners:
The following is the list of the 2016 scholarship winners, including their home state, vocational goals, and the specific named scholarship (if applicable):

Tara Abella, IN: Elementary/Special Education Teacher

Justine "JJ" Aragon, CO: Rehabilitation Counseling

Deniz Aydemir-Doke, PA: Higher Education

Samrawit Biyazin, OR: Certified Public Accountant ($3,000 Charles & Betty Allen Scholarship)

Megan Borella, CA: Business or Information Systems ($3,000 Expedia Scholarship)

Riki Danielle Burton, KY: Teaching Blind Students

Brennan Carman, NY: Medical Research ($5,000 National Federation of the Blind Scholarship)

Merry-Noel Chamberlain, NE: Higher Education ($3,000 Charles & Melva T. Owen Memorial Scholarship)

Nathan Clark, MD: Juvenile Probation Officer

Elif Emir Oksuz, OH: Mental Health Counselor ($5,000 Pearson Scholarship)

Laura Etori, NJ: Actuary ($8,000 Oracle Scholarship for Excellence in a STEM Field)

Jameyanne Fuller, NH: Law ($5,000 Mimi & Marvin Sandler Scholarship)

Deanna Greco, NJ: Brain Research

Nazanin Heydarian, TX: Medical Research

Sharon Jose, VA: Computer Science Engineer ($3,000 Adrienne Asch Memorial Scholarship)

Matthew Miller, IL: Actuary

James Garret Mooney, AZ: Law ($3,000 E. U. & Gene Parker Scholarship)

Kathryn Olsen, IA: Physical Therapist

Chelsea Page, LA: Blind Instruction and Early Intervention

Precious Perez, MA: Professional Performer/Music Educator ($5,000 Larry Streeter Memorial Scholarship)

Donna Posont, MI: Naturalist

Syed Rizvi, MA: Health Informatics and Data Analytics ($8,000 Oracle Scholarship for Excellence in Computer Science)

Joe Rowell, MA: Public Interest Law

Kartik Sawhney, CA: Software Development ($3,000 Expedia Scholarship)

Kennedy Stomberg, MN: Research

Corgan Waters, TN: Pathology

Kathryn Webster, CT: Actuarial Science Consulting ($10,000 Charles & Melva T. Owen Memorial Scholarship)

Kassidy Wilde, UT: Psychology ($3,000 NFB Science and Engineering Division Scholarship)

Johna Wright, GA: Blind Education

Spanish Version of the Presidential Release:
The Spanish version has been posted to https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/pr/spanish/pr451_spanish.mp3.

Adult Rehabilitation and Employment Survey:

If you are blind or visually impaired, reside in the United States, and are at least eighteen years of age, we cordially invite you to participate in this survey. The purpose of this survey is to gain a better understanding of your experiences as an adult who is blind or visually impaired, including your experiences with education, employment, training, and vocational rehabilitation.

This survey should not take more than ten minutes of your time. If you complete this survey, you will be entered into a drawing in which five individuals will win a $100 VISA gift card. We offer you three ways to complete the survey:

Go to www.pdrib.com/ares<http://www.pdrib.com/ares>.

Email pdrib2016 at gmail.com<mailto:pdrib2016 at gmail.com>.

Call 318-257-2029.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

*        August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

*        August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org<http://www.wbu-icevi2016.org>

*        Fall state conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind