[Nfbwv-talk] Article about Future of NLS

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Jun 22 12:23:32 UTC 2016

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this article that Denise shared with the alumni list.

Charlene

Because I wasn't able to go to the NLS conference, a friend shared
detailed information with me. I am going to attempt to summarize it
further for you.

1.   The biggest issue was the new Duplication on Demand (DoD)
scenario. Eventually all books will come directly from an NLS
centralized duplication center. Right now the states will have to
handle it and we have begun training staff to do this. We will begin
producing customized cartridges for individuals. If any of you would
like to be in a pilot project for this, let me know. I don't know when
we will begin that project.

a.   NLS will provide a computer loaded with the necessary software if needed.

b.   NLS will supply cartridges and containers for DoD.

2.   NLS director Karen Keninger delivered a brief address on her
plans for the future, stressing books being delivered directly to the
patron via the Internet. She also addressed accomplishments: 14 new
magazines, Marrakesh Treaty sent to senate for ratification,
additional commercial books added to the collection, low-cost braille
display is available and NLS has ask Congress to allow them to provide
it to our patrons. Her vision of the future:

Karen's future visioning includes:

a.      Everything will live in The Cloud

b.     Books will be streamed directly to a new DTBM

c.      No more handling of physical book cartridges

d.     That new DTBM will have wireless capabilities and probably Bluetooth

e.     Everything will be connected through the libraries' automation systems

f.       There will be wireless delivery of Braille to a Braille display

g.      Staffing requirements for libraries will be changing

h.     All of this takes place within 5-7 years

3.   BARD - there are only 25,000 users (they have 57,000 registered
devices). BARD mobile updates will be coming this summer.

4.   Materials development division reported that 550,000 DTBMs were
manufactured and the contract is now defunct. No new digital

cartridges are available. Production of cartridges will restart in
2017 but the cartridges will be the kind NLS needs to supply libraries
for DoD.

5.   There are now 7 audio book producers. Braille production remains
a problem.

6.   NLS technology plan

a.   DTBMs will have Internet connectivity, including Wi-Fi and
possibly Blue-Tooth; Text-to-Speech and electronic braille will also
occur. When circ of hard copies drops belwos a specific point, DoD
will become completely centralized from the multi-state centers in UT
and OH. The new players will be built in 2018. NLS will need 250,000
Internet capable machines.