[Nfbwv-talk] WVSDB Weekly Note for November 8, 2016

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Nov 30 16:49:15 UTC 2016

Weekly Note 11/8/16

Dear WVSDB Community;

We are enjoying these unusually warm fall days here at WVSDB! I waited until after the weekend to send out a campus update in order to include information about the first ever regional First LEGO League (FLL) tournament we hosted this past Saturday, November 5th.  There was a total of 6 FLL Junior teams participating from Berkeley and Pendleton counties as well as 2 teams from our schools- WVSD and WVSB. Each team chose an animal and built a LEGO model related to their topic. Their model had to contain at least one simple machine and a moving part. Elementary aged team members were interviewed by judges during which time they explained why they chose their particular animal, demonstrated how their model worked, and how it would benefit their chosen species.

The middle-school, FLL competition teams came from Morgantown, Fairmont and WVSDB. The teams traveling to Romney were very experienced. As a result, our students were able to observe robots built by seasoned teams and benefit from seeing how those teams maneuvered their robots to complete the 3 assigned missions.

It was inspiring to see how motivated all the participants were and to witness the importance of team work, cheering and supporting one another. There were 3 components of competition for the FLL teams. First, they were to choose an animal that could possible help them or that they could help, fully explain the process and design a supporting poster. Additionally, students had to understand and demonstrate use of FLL Core Values which promote team work as a result of helping and encouraging one another. Finally, the teams demonstrated, during a 2 and ½ minute period, their robot completing a series of assigned missions related to moving animals into their appropriate environments.

The WVSDB Team coaches, Danielle Emerick-Engle, Lydia Moreland, Krystal Shelton-Dosch and Danielle Richardson, did an amazing job working with the 4 teams representing WVSDB.  All of our students were totally engaged in the learning process and worked together to problem solve.

And the winners were: Really, EVERYONE who participated was a winner in terms of gaining a profound learning experience. The Flaming Unidroids from Fairmont took first place, with the ZombieBots from Morgantown in second and our WVSD Lionbots coming in third. All 3 teams will advance to the State finals which will be held at the Fairmont State University on Saturday, December 3rd.  Let's go, Lionbots!!  Additionally, the Diamond Crushers from WVSB were issued a special invitation to participate in the state tournament as the judges and players were truly impressed with the ingenuity of their robot, which was the smallest and most nimble.

We are very proud of the efforts of our students and their advisors and thankful for the experience they gained through the First LEGO League program and the unwavering support of the NASA Education Resource Center, led by Mr. Todd Ensign and his staff.  Our FLL teams will continue to refine their skills between now and the state tournament on December 3rd.  We wish them all the best.

I look forward to next week as we review the OEPA findings, which will be formally presented tomorrow at the state Board of Education meeting. We will immediately begin to address our needs as a school community, using the OEPA report as a springboard to assist in the development of a 5-year school-wide strategic plan.

Sports Update:

Congratulations to the WVSB Raiders girls' swim team for winning the 1st place trophy at the EAAB tournament, which was held at the Overbrook School for the Blind in Philadelphia.  The boys' team finished 3rd.   Go RAIDERS!!

The WVSD Soccer team placed 6th at the recent ESDDA tournament in Rochester and the team was awarded the sportsmanship trophy for exhibiting great team spirit.  Kudos to the team!

What's on the Horizon?

November 21- 25: Thanksgiving Break (no school)

Tuesday, December 6: Christmas Ornaments celebration, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m., MPR

Saturday, December 10:  Romney's Annual Christmas Parade at 10:00 a.m.   The Family-School Association will participate and we will build a new float.

Monday, December 12:  WVSDB's Annual Celebration of Lights, 5:30 - 8:00 p.m.

December 23 - January 2: Winter Break (no school)

I hope our students and teachers are enjoying the week off as we take time to vote and to celebrate Veterans Day.

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Martin P. Keller, Jr., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve. Challenge. Thrive.

Copyright © 2016 WV Schools for the Deaf and the Blind, All rights reserved.

Thank you for joining Dr. Keller's Weekly Note email list!

Our mailing address is: