[Nfbwv-talk] Dr. Keller's Weekly Notes for March 30, 2017

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Apr 3 20:32:34 UTC 2017

Sorry for the delay in getting this to you.  I have been having computer problems.

Charlene

Weekly Note 3/30/17

Dear WVSDB Community;

Greetings.  It has been extremely busy in the central office in the last few weeks as we move past the mid-year point, and begin preparations for summer programs for our students as well as getting our ducks in a row for the 2017-18 school year.  Meetings have been ongoing to further expand and improve curriculum needs at each of the three schools.  The effort, as always, is to find ways we can continue to make improvements for students as well as WVSDB faculty and staff.

This weekend, for the first time ever, we will be hosting the Eastern Athletic Association of the Deaf (EAAD) basketball tournament (March 31-April 2). We anticipate having more than 250 fans in attendance.  Please give the participants and fans a proud and warm WVSDB welcome!  For information on the tournament, you may view the EAAD page on Facebook.  On that note, Priscilla Epperly, FSA Coordinator, is looking for a few additional volunteers to help sell food and drinks at the tournament.  If interested, please email her at paepperly at k12.wv.us<mailto:paepperly at k12.wv.us>.  Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

WVSDB students have been working hard to prepare for the school's annual art exhibition.  Please take time to appreciate the wonderful artwork on display in the MPR this afternoon, 4:00 - 7:00 p.m.  Come and check out the art show; you will be very glad you did!

One of our Advisory Board members, Roz Rosen, has recently published a fantastic book titled, "Deaf Culture Fairy Tales".  You may order your copy by clicking on the Savory Words publishing company's website at:   www.savorywords.com/books<http://www.savorywords.com/books>.  You will find the book very entertaining as I did.

As mentioned in the first paragraph, WVSDB will host its annual Summer Enrichment camp, which is open to all Deaf and blind students throughout the state, grades 3-12.  The camp will be offered on July 16-21. More details on the camp along with registration information will be forthcoming.

In addition, the ASL Family, Interpreter, and Deaf Educator Retreat is planned for the weekend of June 16-18 at Fairmont State University.  Please click on the link for information on the retreat:  asliep.wixsite.com

Also, on the horizon, is the annual WVSB Alumni Weekend will be held on the weekend of June 16-18.  I am anticipating a good turnout and look forward to this time of reminiscence and catching-up.

Finally, I am thrilled to share some with you the potential for a new opportunity for recent graduates as well as students in our Career Academy for Postgraduates (CAP) program.  I had a meeting yesterday afternoon with Ms. Lisa McIndoe, Manager of Organizational Development, at the Hunter Douglas Manufacturing Company in nearby Cumberland, MD.  They currently employ two individuals who are Deaf, one of whom is a WVSDB graduate.  They have been so impressed with their work ethic that they are very interested in recruiting additional employees who have graduated from our schools.  We have been invited to tour the plant; I am currently in the process of making those arrangements.  Who knows what opportunities may develop as we move forward to create a collaborative initiative with Hunter Douglas?  Stay tuned!

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Martin P. Keller, Jr., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.

Copyright (c) 2017 WV Schools for the Deaf and the Blind, All rights reserved.

Thank you for joining Dr. Keller's Weekly Note email list!