[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for 8/7/17

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Thu Aug 10 19:40:01 UTC 2017

August 7, 2017
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Have a great week!

Critical Actions This Week:

Fall Affiliate Conventions:
Each affiliate should be sure that it is promoting its website for upcoming affiliate conventions. We have noticed that a number of affiliates with fall conventions have outdated information-sometimes more than a year old. We will not link to convention information on affiliate websites that is not up to date. Please be sure that the affiliate website reflects the most current information for our members and potential members.

News:

Presidential Release:
The August Presidential Release is now available on our website<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/podcast/presidential-releases-en/PR463.mp3>.

Cardtronics Testing:
Thank you to those of you who participated in the Cardtronics testing call last week. As a reminder, and to those that weren't able to join the call, affiliates are invited to participate in Cardtronics ATM testing this fall, and each affiliate will have the opportunity to test at least eleven ATMs. In order for your affiliate to participate, by August 15 please send the names, email addresses, phone numbers, and preferred zip codes of your affiliate's testers to Valerie Yingling (vyingling at nfb.org<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>). Testers will need to be able to read Braille instructions and should be comfortable using an ATM and completing an online survey. Testers will be asked to confirm that voice guidance software and other accessibility features have been added to specific, assigned Cardtronics ATMs; testers may need to withdraw a minimum amount of money from their accounts to fully assess the transaction. Please contact Valerie Yingling (vyingling at nfb.org<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>) with any questions about the testing process.

Rideshare Testing:
The NFB's rideshare testing program will continue for at least two and a half more years. Please circulate the following message throughout your network and continue to promote the testing among members.

Recruiting Feedback from Individuals with Service Animals Who Travel via Lyft or Uber:
As you travel with your service animal via Lyft or Uber, please make sure to record your experience in the NFB's rideshare testing online questionnaire: https://nfb.org/rideshare-test. As a part of the NFB's settlement agreements with Uber and Lyft, the NFB is conducting testing<https://nfb.org/rideshare> to assess how successfully both companies are implementing new policies and procedures regarding drivers' obligations to transport riders with service animals. We are seeking feedback regarding positive and negative rideshare experiences; please take time to report your experience<https://nfb.org/rideshare-test>.

Contributions to the Braille Book Fair:
Each spring a call goes out for gently used Braille books that might be given away at our Braille Book Fair at national convention. Contributions to the cause are appreciated throughout the year. However, not all titles are likely to be popular, definitions of "gently used" vary, and curating donations is a time-consuming process. If you plan to send us more than a box or two of Braille, please send a list to Melissa Riccobono<mailto:parenting at nfb.org> to let us know what you are willing to donate. We can advise you which titles are worth your effort to box up and ship to the Jernigan Institute for next year's Braille Book Fair. Please spread this message to all individuals and organizations that might be considering a large contribution of books.

Reminders:

Affiliate Pledges:
Affiliates that made pledges during the honor roll call at our national convention should make plans to fulfill your commitment in the next couple of months. If we do not hear from you, Patti Chang will be following up.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   Fall Conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>
  *   September 12-17, 2017: BLAST<http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/>, Nashville, Tennessee
  *   November 6-8, 2017: Dare to Be Remarkable Conference<https://nfb.org/dare-be-remarkable-call-presentations>, Baltimore, Maryland
  *   January 29, 2018: Great Gathering In, Washington, District of Columbia

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.