[Nfbwv-talk] Sad News

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Aug 26 17:15:50 UTC 2017

It turns out that Karen is able to attend the funeral after all.  A couple of cousins came to Keyser last night and drove her to Elkins where services are underway right about this time.

I am sure that none of this discussion would have ever made its way to an NFB list if Shirley had not attended a few of our national conventions and gotten acquainted with a number of us.

I suppose our families can have very different responses to our NFB involvement.  My dad, for example, never came near a Federation meeting of any kind.  (He was not opposed, but simply chose not to become involved.)  On the other hand--as some of you will recall--my mother certainly did.

I am grateful that Madaline and Shirley chose to attend a few of our conventions.  In some respects, it became a vacation for them, and they may not have understood all of the issues we dealt with.  Nevertheless, they got to see a lot of blind people gathered in one place and doing what we do as a movement, and I am sure they came away with a better understanding of blindness than they had in the first place.  What's more, they made some new friends!

Shirley, rest in peace.

Ed