[Nfbwv-talk] Dr. Keller's Weekly Note

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Thu Feb 2 14:13:23 UTC 2017

Weekly Note 2/1/17

Dear WVSDB Community,

We have recently submitted our final 5-year comprehensive strategic plan to the West Virginia Department of Education.  We are excited about the many initiatives that will be undertaken in the next few years.  An example of which is the plan to offer a statewide mentoring program for families who have children who are Deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or low vision.

Additionally, I would like to take this opportunity to share the new WVSDB mission statement, which evolved while working on the strategic plan:  Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.

This week is Spirit Week at WVSD. We will be hosting the 2nd annual Mountain State basketball classic this weekend.  Three schools for the deaf will be participating in that tournament - Ohio, Virginia, and Eastern North Carolina.  Best of luck to our teams!  More information on the tournament can be found on the WVSDB website.

In addition, we are hosting a new statewide program for middle and high school students who are Deaf, hard of hearing, blind or have low vision.  The 'Teen Getaway Weekend", offered by the Outreach Department, will be held this weekend.  During this time, WVSDB welcomes public school students throughout the state to join us for a great weekend getaway.

We are also honored to host the WVCDHH Board meeting on campus this Friday, February 3rd, which will start at 9:00 a.m. in the Seaton Hall staff dining room.  The public is welcome to attend the meeting.

An update on our Advisory Board members:  Dr. William "Bill" White has been recently appointed by Governor Jim Justice to run the Herbert Henderson Office of Minority Affairs.  He will be stepping down from his position on the WV state Board of Education to begin his new role.  Mrs. Gayle Manchin was recently appointed by the governor as the new Secretary of Arts and Education.  Congratulations to both!!  We are fortunate to have their representation at the state level.

Lastly, Monday, March 13th, has been designated as the WVSDB Legislative Day.  WVSDB students will be making their annual trip to Charleston to perform for the Legislature and the new Governor, Jim Justice.  The event coincides with the WVCDHH's Deaf Awareness Day which will be celebrated at the State Capitol.

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Martin P. Keller, Jr., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.

Copyright (c) 2017 WV Schools for the Deaf and the Blind, All rights reserved.

Thank you for joining Dr. Keller's Weekly Note email list!