[Nfbwv-talk] Contact your Representatives

Sheri Koch slk8332015 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:16:25 UTC 2017

Well, it has been almost three weeks since we attended Washington Seminar.
For those of you who may not know, this is an event where we visit our
senators, congressmen, and staffers to discuss legislative priorities of
importance to blind Americans.

Keryl Rustin and I had the great pleasure of meeting with: Senator Capito,
Congressman Jenkins, Congressman McKinley, and aides from each office.  We
discussed the following legislative initiatives:

*Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education*.  This bill
sponsored by Congressman Phil Roe allows for the creation of a
purpose-based commission to establish voluntary guidelines for accessible
instructional materials in higher education.  Requires that the commission
identify national and international standards for what makes something
accessible.  Gives safe harbor to institutions of higher learning against
litigation if they follow these voluntary guidelines.  Would ultimately
create market-driven technology which is accessible to everyone.

*Access Technology Affordability Act:*  Gives a per-person a tax credit
refund over a given period of time if the individuals spends his own money
to purchase access technology.

*One-time appropriation to the National Library Service to purchase
refreshable braille machines*:  Provides for a one-time appropriation to
NLS of five million dollars to purchase ten thousand refreshable braille
machines.

*Marrakesh Treaty*:  Calls for the ratification of the treaty.  Allows for
international copyright exceptions so books can be put into accessible
format for blind and print disabled.  Allows for distribution, import, and
export of such accessible books.

Momentarily, I will be forwarding an e-mail to you containing the fact
sheets which give greater detail about each initiative in hopes that you’ll
find them helpful.

While we feel our visit to Capitol Hill was productive, we need your help
to keep the momentum going.  Please e-mail the designated representative’s
aide to ask them to encourage their senator or congressman to vote yes for
each legislative issue discussed above.  Your contacts are as follows:

Senator Joe Manchin
Contact:  Thomas J. Lucas
E-Mail:  Thomas_lucas at manchin.senate.gov

Senator Shelley Moore Capito
Contact:  Dana Righter
E-mail:  Dana_Righter at capito.senate.gov

Congressman David McKinley
Contact:  Margie Almanza
E-mail:  Margie.almanza at mail.house.gov

Congressman Alex Mooney
Contact:  Lindsay Schneider
E-mail: lindsay.schneider at mail.house.gov

Congressman Evan Jenkins
Contact:  Josh Sutherland
E-mail:  Josh.sutherland at mail.house.gov

In advance, thank you for your efforts.  Let’s shoot for a positive outcome
on the hill.  If you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to c
all me at 304-993-5103.

Sheri