[Nfbwv-talk] Harry Collier's Obituary

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Jul 24 13:17:54 UTC 2017

August 23, 1933 - July 4, 2017
Harry Collier, 84 of Stuart, Fla., formerly of Princeton, passed away July 4th, in Winston Salem, NC. Born August 23, 1933 in McDowell County, WV, he was preceded in death by his mother Virgie Burks, his wife Laura Thornton Collier and all of his immediate family. He was of Protestant faith.  He is survived by his stepdaughter, Sherri; nephews: Richard Cook of Princeton, Don Hanchock of Winston-Salem; nieces: Diane Meadows of Oceana and sister-in-law, Sharon Thornton Caldwell of Athens.  He was a graduate of Romney School for the Blind and faithfully attended yearly reunions at the school as long as his health allowed. He was a member of the WV Chapter of National Federation of the Blind and was an avid reader of braille books available to the blind through state and national chapters.  He was an accomplished pianist, and had a Radio show on WHIS, performed on television and for various clubs, special occasions and especially churches in the area and after moving to Florida. One of his favorite jokes to play on musicians was after the performance, being able to see large shadows, he would go to the drivers side of the car and say, "get in boy's, I'll drive us home."   Over the years he kept in touch with classmates from Romney School. Once when he was visiting a fellow classmate, living in a nursing home in Lewisburg, WV, he started playing the piano and his friend sang, at first gospel then country to rockabilly, and soon the community room was filled with people singing along and clapping their hands to the music for over an hour.  He would often tell of things that happened in his life because of his handicap. Once when Laura told him her back hurt to get the BenGay out of the medicine cabinet. He went back and began to rub her back when she stopped him. "Harry that smells like toothpaste." So he went back to the medicine cabinet and got another tube, "Harry, that's not the right cream, that smells like hemorrhoid cream." Harry said, "you'll be cured of all your ailments by the time I find the right cream."  Many years ago, they moved to Florida, because of the winters in WV. He especially felt right at home in the handicapped friendly apartment, because the manager was from McDowell County, WV. From the complex there was a paved bike and golf cart road x to a mall with a grocery store. Harry would put Laura on the back and they would drive to the grocery. Once he quickly stopped when a pedestrian walked in front of him , he noticed when he pulled out the cart was lighter. When he asked Laura if she was o.k. there was no answer. He turned around and went back looking for her and heard her calling from the high grass along side the trail. "I'm glad you didn't dump me in an alligator pond, you drive like a blind man."  Harry never let his handicap get the better of him. He, with the help of a jewelers eye loupe, was able to use the computer and work on it if there were problems. He communicated with people via email, until he decided he would rather hear their voice on the phone.  Someone asked him once if he'd had a choice would be vision impaired or deaf. He answered quickly, "If it had to be, I would be as I am, because of my love of music. I can't imagine a world without it. I have enjoyed it everyday of my life."  As per Harry's wishes, he was cremated and he will be interred by his wife Laura in the family cemetery. Online condolences may be shared with the family via www.memorialfd.com<http://www.memorialfd.com/>.