[Nfbwv-talk] Jernigan Scholarship Raffle Tickets

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Mar 8 15:20:40 UTC 2017

Greetings Federation Family,

I know I sent this a month ago but I just want to send it again as a friendly reminder.  Time passes by so quickly and I know all of you have busy lives.

Chapter Presidents and Board Members, please make a special effort to encourage your chapter members to purchase these tickets as soon as possible so you will have time to get their names and money to me so I will have time to fill out the tickets and get everything ready to submit to our national office.  As we get closer to time for national convention, it is a very busy time of year for me.  Having this task completed will really cut down on the stress of what all I need to do in June.

Thank you.

I just know you are going to be as excited as I am about the below message and the opportunity that is possible for you.  Read on!!

As you are aware, we established the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund at our 1998 convention in Dallas, Texas. The support from members and friends has been both generous and enthusiastic. The committee is again sponsoring a limited edition raffle to raise money for the Kenneth Jernigan Fund. The ticket cost is ten dollars. This drawing will yield at least $10,000 net for the Kenneth Jernigan Fund.  All of this money is to help make it possible for blind people to attend their first national convention.

You might ask, "What's in it for me?" Here is what's in it for you. If you are the winner of this drawing, you will receive round-trip air transportation for two to and from Orlando, Florida, for the National Federation of the Blind National Convention in July 2018. You will also receive lodging at that year's convention hotel for seven days during the convention. You will receive registration and banquet tickets for two. In addition, you will receive a cash prize of $1,000. On the other hand, if you don't win but you sell the winning ticket, your chapter will receive $500. You do not have to be present to win.

West Virginia  is being asked to either sell or buy its allotment of tickets. If we choose to buy tickets for our affiliate, a suggested use is to donate tickets to the door prize chairman to be included with regular convention prize drawings.

Okay, Friends, here is what you need to do:

Chapter Presidents and Board Members,

Please call all your members and explain how they can make it possible for West Virginia to help our national movement through the purchase of at least one, and even more, raffle tickets.

Then, gather all funds and mail them to me.  If you make a check payable to me, I will cash it and put all cash and sold tickets into an envelope that I will present to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Committee.  Checks can be mailed to me as follows:

Charlene Smyth
401 East Olive Street
Apartment 1-A
Bridgeport, WV  26330

National always mails me enough tickets to allow one ticket per member.  Take a look at your membership roster and you will realize we have many to sell.  This is one easy way we can make it possible for blind people to attend a national convention.  For those who may not realize it, West Virginia members have benefited from this fund on several occasions.  The only chapter who hasn't had a member to receive one of these scholarships is the Members at Large Chapter.

Chapter Presidents and Board Members, please provide me an update by March 15 on how the selling of raffle tickets is going in your chapter.

I send you much thanks for all you do.