[Nfbwv-talk] Dr. Keller's WVSDB Weekly Note for 3/10/17

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Mar 15 18:52:17 UTC 2017

Weekly Note 3/10/17

Dear WVSDB Community:

Good morning everyone!  Our students who are involved in the Tapestry and Mountain Melodies are gearing up for their annual visit to the Legislature this Monday, March 13.  It is being planned for our students to perform for the new Governor, Jim Justice, Monday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.  This event coincides with the Deaf Awareness Day, sponsored by WVCDHH, which will be celebrated at the Capitol, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

The AYSO soccer season is fast approaching which provides yet another opportunity for our students to engage in a team sport.  Specific information on practice and game schedules is provided in each school's morning news.

Spirit Week will be celebrated at WVSB next week and the 3rd annual Cane Quest will be held on Thursday the 16th.  Members of the WVSB goalball team will be traveling to the Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind next weekend to participate in the EAAB regional goalball tournament.  We wish them all the best.  GO RAIDERS!!

Good news!!  We received exciting news earlier this week from the Air National Guard and the U.S. Marine Corp.  WVSDB has officially been selected for assistance with campus infrastructure needs.  Units will begin the planning process in the very near future with the intention of addressing building improvements as early as February of 2018.  This will be a huge benefit in allowing WVSDB to address building improvement needs at a fraction of the cost by utilizing military assistance to complete targeted projects.  Thanks so much to Ms. Karen Trueblood, former WVSDB Foundation President, who brought this opportunity to our attention as well as to Ann Getty for writing the proposal and Patrick McCord for providing a needs summary and meeting with the military representatives during their recent campus visit.

Warm regards,

Dr. Martin P. Keller, Jr., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.

Melanie Hesse apologizes for the late notice of this email.  She was out of town.

Copyright (c) 2017 WV Schools for the Deaf and the Blind, All rights reserved.

Thank you for joining Dr. Keller's Weekly Note email list!