[Nfbwv-talk] Dr. Keller's Weekly Note for May 17, 2017

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Fri May 19 20:07:56 UTC 2017

Sorry, I couldn't find the attachment mentioned for the below message.

Charlene

Weekly Note 5/17/17

Dear WVSDB Community;

Greetings on a very summer-like day!  We're gearing up for this Saturday's 2nd annual Family-School Association (FSA) event, which will occur from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The FSA volunteers have planned a variety of activities for all ages.  Please make every effort to come; you won't be disappointed!  Attached, please find the FSA Day schedule.

WVSD Principal, Michael Coleman, recently announced that Taylor James has been named Valedictorian for the Class of 2017.  Congratulations, Taylor!  We are proud of you and your achievements.

Alex Abenchuchan of the Daily Moth, with approximately 100K subscribers nationwide, will be coming to visit with WVSDB students tomorrow through Saturday.  He will work with students at the Schools for the Deaf and the Blind teaching them how to produce efficient, quality videos.  In addition, Alex will be interviewing some students, faculty and staff on Friday with the goal of creating a PR video for our school.  Please dress up on Friday as you may find yourself on camera sharing your thoughts about why WVSDB is such an exceptional place!

We're pleased to announce the addition of a new member to the WVSDB Advisory Board.  Mr. Louis Tutt will be a valuable asset to our Board and to the WVSDB.  Mr. Tutt is currently the Executive Director of the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER).  He has held the Executive Director position since 2011 and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the 4,600-member association.  Mr. Tutt is nationally recognized in the field of educating children who are blind and multiply-disabled.  Previously, he served a 10-year stint as the President and CEO of the Maryland School for the Blind and has written articles on motor skills for young deafblind children, coauthored Movement and Fundamental Motor Skills for Sensory Deprived Children and contributed to and wrote the forward for Accessing the General Physical Education Curriculum for Students with Sensory Deficits.  Welcome aboard, Lou; we look forward to benefitting from your expertise!

A special shout-out/hands waving goes out to Larry Malone for donating new uniform tops for our Cub Scouts troop which was recently formed.  Thank you for your generosity, Larry!

Once again, I hope to see you Saturday.  It appears that Mother Nature will be cooperating with us this year with temperatures expected to be in the mid 70's and more importantly, no rain!

Respectfully yours,

Martin P. Keller, Jr., Ed.D., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.