[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook 9-18-17

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Oct 2 13:43:48 UTC 2017

Sorry for the delay in getting this to all of you.  I was having some internet problems.

Charlene

September 18, 2017

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Thank you for your patience while the phones at the national office were out much of last week. This was a major failure on behalf of our provider, and we are now working to put in new backup plans for the future.

We are currently reviewing our archives to make sure we have all Federation constitutions on file-affiliates, national divisions, chapters, and divisions at the local level. This is a reminder that all constitutional changes at the local level need to be approved by the affiliate and then forwarded to the President of the Federation for final assurance that the changes follow the charter of affiliation from the National Federation of the Blind. We will be reaching out to Federation leaders with more details about this review soon.

Last week our National Association of Blind Merchants hosted the BLAST conference in Nashville. Many great programmatic events took place and much Federation building was accomplished. During the conference, the National Federation of the Blind was recognized for its long-standing work to protect and build the Randolph-Sheppard program. Congratulations to all of us for our work to continue to advance policies and programs that enhance business opportunities for the blind. As we continue to seek twenty-first-century business opportunities for blind people, we should continue to share ideas about what the future of employment and entrepreneurship for the blind might be. Thanks to the leaders of our division for continuing to build the Federation.

Last week we released a process for gathering information about blind individuals who receive benefits under the DACA program. This has raised a number of questions from some Federation members. I wanted the leadership to be well versed about what we are or are not doing, so I have put together the following Q&A so you can best answer questions from members of the Federation.

Why is the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) taking a position on a non-blindness political issue such as immigration policy?

The National Federation of the Blind has not taken a position on immigration policy or even the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program specifically. We are aware that a number of NFB members receive benefits under this program, and we are seeking to understand who these blind people are and what, if any, support they may need as blind people.

Will National Federation of the Blind use the DACA questionnaire data to advocate a particular political position on immigration?

No. To the extent that immigration procedures unfairly disadvantage blind people--such as online forms that are inaccessible--the National Federation of the Blind has an interest in the programmatic aspects of immigration policy.

What is National Federation of the Blind 's policy statement around DACA?

Currently, the National Federation of the Blind does not have a policy statement pertaining to DACA.

Why has the Federation come out against the Trump administration on a non-blindness issue?

We have not opposed or affirmed the administration's position. Here is the statement from our online form: "The National Federation of the Blind is collecting the following information to better understand the impact of the administration's recent decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program among the blind in the United States."

Does filling out the National Federation of the Blind's questionnaire put DACA recipients at a greater risk for immigration enforcement No. DACA recipients have already self-identified to the Department of Homeland Security, the US Citizenship and Immigration Service, and other relevant federal agencies by applying to the DACA program. The information the Federation is collecting is less comprehensive than that which federal agencies already have on file. As specified in our form, "The National Federation of the Blind will not share individual DREAMer stories or personally identifiable information with members of Congress, administration officials, or other relevant stakeholder organizations without your prior written consent."

Should we welcome DACA recipients at our chapter meetings Yes. As the largest vehicle for collective action for the blind in the United States, the National Federation of the Blind is open to, and welcoming of, all blind people who are interested in adding their voice, energy, time, and talents to our collective effort. The NFB is committed to enabling all blind people to live the lives we want, this includes DACA recipients. DACA recipients should not be singled out, nor treated any differently than other chapter members or visitors. Diversity is part of the strength of our membership, and we should continue to value diversity in the work we undertake.

News:

NHTSA Event:  Last week, I attended a Vision for Safety event held by the US Department of Transportation where Secretary Elaine Chao announced new guidelines for autonomous vehicles. I spoke at the event, held at Mcity on the University of Michigan campus, and my remarks are available on our blog.

Cardtronics ATM Testing:  As a reminder, Cardtronics ATM testing commenced on September 1. To date, the NFB has received 32 completed tests, and 568 ATMs remain to be tested. We aim to have all tests completed by October 15. Please remember that the first ten affiliates that successfully complete their tests will be given a redemption code for one copy

of KNFB Reader for Windows that they can use as a door prize at an upcoming convention. Thank you to all our volunteer testers for committing to this important project.

eatsa Agreement: TRE Legal Practice, representing NFB members Darian Smith and Serena Olsen, and Disability Rights Associates representing the ACB have negotiated a settlement with eatsa, an innovative, automated restaurant chain, to make their foodservice kiosks, mobile apps, and food-pickup cubbies accessible.

Meet the Blind Month Promotional Materials: Meet the Blind Month provides many opportunities to share printed materials about the National Federation of the Blind as you are out in the community attending and hosting events.

We Have available and recommend the general NFB brochure, which is now also available in Spanish, as well as Braille alphabet cards, Kernel Books, and the "Courtesy Rules of Blindness." We have newly updated senior brochures if those make sense for your event.

Please Contact the Independence Market at independencemarket at nfb.org or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2216, to order.

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:  Save the dates March 22-23 for the 2018 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium, "Fifty Years After tenBroek: The Right to Live in the World Today and Tomorrow," at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute. The symposium will feature keynote speakers, plenary sessions, and workshops. Don't miss this opportunity to learn from and network with many of the leading disability rights advocates from throughout the United States!

All interested persons are invited to submit proposals for a one-hour workshop on one or more topics of your choice. The NFB Steering Committee will review and select submissions to create an exciting, well-balanced program. All workshop proposals are due via email to Stacie Dubnow, by Friday, October 13, 2017. Individuals who submit a proposal will be notified of the NFB's decision by December 1, 2017.

Gregg Harper Article: Representative Gregg Harper has had an article in support of the TIME Act published in the September 11 issue of The Hill, "Let's Unlock the Untapped Potential among Millions of Disabled People."

NAGDU Releases V 20 of Mobile App:  The National Association of Guide Dog Users has released an updated version of the division's mobile app. This new version contains updated information on each state statute, information on Canadian regulations, specific information for industries of concern to service dog users, and much more.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*             Fall Conventions

*             November 1, 2017: 2018 Scholarship Application period begins

*             November 6-8, 2017: Dare to Be Remarkable Conference, Baltimore, Maryland

*             November 15, 2017: 2018 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award competition begins, deadline March 31

*             January 29, 2018: Great Gathering-In, Washington, District of Columbia

*             March 22-23, 2018: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.