[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for April 16, 2018

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Apr 17 15:49:08 UTC 2018

April 16, 2018
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I hope this message finds you doing well and with your taxes filed. We are now entering that window of time where the preparations for our national convention compete with all of the other great things that are happening. We are juggling many things while preparing for the convention, including an important hearing on the Marrakesh Implementation Act this week. Your convention ideas are still welcome.

In preparation for the national convention, I note that we have some new delegates to the convention. If our new delegates are interested in having a call to discuss the responsibilities of the delegates, please let me know. In the meantime, I encourage all affiliates to be thinking about their gifts to the national organization. We cannot continue to raise expectations without the funds to allow us to be in the right places at the strategically right time. Contributions from affiliates to the national organization make a difference in our having funds to carry out the work directed by the convention.

Critical Actions This Week:
Marrakesh Treaty Update:
On Wednesday, April 18, the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations will be holding a hearing regarding the Marrakesh Treaty. The hearing will be held at 10:30 a.m. in the Senate Dirksen Office Building, room 419. Scott LaBarre will be testifying on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind. Those in the local area who are available should consider attending. The hearing will also be live-streamed at https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/treaties-041818.

News:
Proposals for Tactile Graphics Symposium Presentations Now Being Accepted:
The Tactile Graphics in Education and Careers Symposium will take place at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute on October 11-12, 2018. Proposals for general session and breakout session presentations will be accepted until May 7, 2018. For additional information about the symposium, please visit https://nfb.org/tactile-graphics-education-and-careers-symposium.

Links to News:
There was an article about the subminimum wage ban for which the NFB of Washington advocated in Seattle that can be found at http://kuow.org/post/seattle-bans-subminimum-wages-people-disabilities.

Also, over the weekend there was an article and video about a new Braille standards proposal in DC<https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/dc-council-bill-aims-to-introduce-braille-education-to-kids/65-538135933>.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   May 1, 2018: Deadline for NFB EQ program applications<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>
  *   May 1, 2018: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of the Year nominations<https://nfb.org/divisions-and-committees#DistinguishedEducatorBlindChildren>
  *   May 31, 2018: Deadline for preregistration for 2018 National Convention<https://convention.nfb.org/>
  *   July 3-8, 2018: National Federation of the Blind National Convention<https://nfb.org/convention>, Orlando, Florida
  *   July 29-August 4, 2018: NFB EQ<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.