[Nfbwv-talk] WVSDB News

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Fri Feb 16 16:12:52 UTC 2018

Below is a message Mark sent me to share with the WVSB alumni, and I want to share it with all of you as well.

Charlene

Dear WVSB Alumni,

We are delighted to share with you WVSDB's exciting plans for this summer which will provide better educational and living environments for our students for next school year and beyond.  The Department of Defense Innovative Readiness Training (IRT) program is readying itself to arrive on campus with a workforce of 50 military members in June and depart prior to our students' return to school in August.  Our foremost objective as part of this plan is to renovate Keller Hall for its re-opening on August 19th.  Renovation will include the installation of a commercial kitchen for a building cafeteria, ADA accessible restroom and shower areas on the floors, lighting upgrades, walkway improvements, fresh paint, wider doorways, new window treatments and many more enhancements.  Additionally, plans include the restoration of the Blue and Gold Cafe exterior and the demolition and partial reconstruction of the Bakery Wing exterior at Seaton Hall.  We will be working to install a campus-wide life safety management system that will also serve as a school communication system for the WVSD.  Additional plans include upgrades to the fire alarm system at the WVSD, and renovation of several classrooms at the WVSB and WVSD.  Even more exciting, we plan to install an ADA accessible and inclusive playground area.  Each of these improvements gives way for accomplishing components of our Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan or CEFP, designed to improve the educational environment and opportunities for our students and staff.

Following this summer's campus-wide improvements, we will have the opportunity to provide a more inclusive learning environment for all students.  The 2018-2019 school year will open with the multi-sensory classrooms being housed in both the School for the Deaf and School for the Blind instructional buildings.  Likewise, students now have the opportunity to reside among their peers in the Seaton Hall and Keller Hall residential complexes.  Students entering grades Pre-K-5 for the 2018-19 school term, will reside in Keller Hall.  Students entering grades 6-12 for the 2018-19 school term, will reside in Seaton Hall.  Each child will reside on floors with age appropriate peers that have similar exceptionalities.  The Elementary Deaf building will no longer be occupied by students.

We remain committed to providing each child with a safe learning environment where each child achieves, is challenged, and thrives.  We aim to build inclusive school and residential environments.  We understand and recognize that students and families, and staff are equally important and vital for each child's achievement in instructional programming.  The WVSDB is a place of respect where each child is educated and cared for in a safe and supportive campus-wide environment.  Here, the campus community recognizes and embraces each child's talents, growth and overall development.  We recognize that excellence in education is achieved by working together in a unified, positive, and supportive manner.

We thank you for your continued support and understanding as we move towards a more integrated educational setting.  WVSDB continues to support and address the individual needs of each child while providing opportunities to flourish.  We recognize the diversity and unique contributions that each student brings to our campus.

We have some upcoming events to call to your attention.  Our Mountaineer Melodies and Tapestry performance is on the 21st in Charleston at the Capitol Building.  Cane Quest is March 15th and the goalball tournament takes place March 16th - 18th; both at the WVSDB.  If you are in the area, come out and enjoy these events.

Sincerely Yours,

Mark

Mark Gandolfi, CPA
Chief Financial Officer
West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind
301 East Main Street
Romney, WV  26757