[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for 2/19/18

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Feb 21 19:12:40 UTC 2018

February 19, 2018
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Fellow Federationists,
Happy Presidents' Day to our affiliate leaders. Today I am out on the on the West Coast talking about opportunities to explore new avenues for building our organization. Whenever I have these conversations I reflect on what our affiliate presidents will do. Does the opportunity help our local leaders build capacity or does it take away from our core mission? I am well aware of the many sacrifices and unrecognized acts that you undertake on a daily basis to improve the lives of blind people. I appreciate all you do to make our movement the vital and progressive effort it continues to be. Thank you for being one of the many presidents that makes up the core leadership of our movement.
News:

Newseum Video:
A new video about the Newseum exhibit is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs0ks2qEogs&feature=youtu.be .

Reminders:

Code of Conduct:
All state affiliate and division presidents: Don't forget to read and return the signed paragraph indicating acknowledgement of the NFB Code of Conduct. Also, please send an email to notify me when your affiliate/division board approves the code.

Affiliates:

NFB of Alaska:
The advocacy work of the NFB of Alaska has resulted in a regulatory change that goes into effect today that eliminates the exemption that allowed employers to pay people with disabilities less than the state minimum wage.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   March 22-23, 2018: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium<https://nfb.org/law-symposium>
  *   March 31, 2018: Deadline for scholarship applications, www.nfb.org/scholarships<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>
  *   April 15, 2018: Deadline for 2018 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award competition<https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>
  *   July 3-8, 2018: National Federation of the Blind National Convention<https://nfb.org/convention>, Orlando, Florida
  *   July 29-August 4, 2018: NFB EQ<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.