[Nfbwv-talk] NFBWV State Convention 2018 NFBWV Convention Memo

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Jul 17 18:39:10 UTC 2018

Below and attached as a word document is a memo that will hopefully tell you everything and anything you want to know to plan to attend the 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.  Please share with those members who do not have E-mail.

CONVENTION MEMORANDUM

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

OF WEST VIRGINIA

September 13-16, 2018

Holiday Inn Express
1118 Pineview Drive
Morgantown, WV  26505

President, NFB of West Virginia: Charlene Smyth
401 East Olive Street
Apartment 1-A
Bridgeport, WV 26330
Phone: (304) 841-1111
E-Mail:  president at nfbwv.org

            Come one, come all to help us celebrate the sixty-fifth annual convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia (NFBWV) on September 13, 14, 15, and 16, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Express located in Morgantown, West Virginia.  At the end of this memo, you can learn more about the hotel, its restaurant, facilities, features, driving directions and more or you can go to the hotel's website at www.holidayinn.com/morgantownunv<http://www.holidayinn.com/morgantownunv>.

            CONVENTION REGISTRATION: You can pre-register by sending a check to Treasurer Marcus Soulsby.  Your check should be made payable to NFBWV and mailed to Treasurer Marcus Soulsby, 5309 Venable Avenue, Charleston, WV  25304.  Phone: (304) 206-4044; E-mail: msoulsby at nfbwv.org.

            Please be aware that onsite convention registration and banquet fee transactions are now $30 and $35 respectively.  For registrations submitted at least 14 days prior to the convention date, the costs for registration and banquet will now be $25 and $30 respectively.

            This year, NFBWV convention registration will take place in the Presidential Suite 300.  If this room number changes, I will let you know.

            When registering for the convention, each chapter should forward to Charlene Smyth the names of those persons who will be attending the convention so that name tags can be completed in advance.  Also, please indicate whether every individual is a voting or non-voting member, whether he/she prefers to read standard print, large print, or Braille as well as whether he/she plans on attending the reception and/or the banquet.  This information should be submitted to Charlene at president at nfbwv.org<mailto:president at nfbwv.org> or via phone at 304-841-1111.  Charlene will then forward all names on to the Huntington Area Chapter which is responsible for nametags and the registration table.

            HOTEL: Hotel guest room rates are as follows:
Group discount rate of $105.00 per night per room plus tax for standard (2) queen beds which will include (2) coupons per day for 2 adults for the hot breakfast buffet served in Atria's.
Group discount rate of $105.00 per night per room plus tax for standard (1) king bed which will include (2) coupon per day for 2 adults for the hot breakfast buffet served in Atria's.
Group discount rate of $105.00 per night per room plus tax for (1) king bed stay suite which will include (2) coupons per day for 2 adults for the hot breakfast buffet served in Atria's.

The cutoff date for guaranteeing a room at these reduced rates is August 13, 2018.  Reservations must be made directly with the Holiday Inn Express by calling (304) 241-6649.  To get the reduced room rates, you must let the hotel know you will be attending the convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.

            Reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card or by submitting pre-payment with tax for one night's lodging.  When registering at the hotel, you must submit a credit card to cover the cost of any incidentals that might be billed to your room such as phone calls, room service, etc.

            If you wish to cancel your room, you must do so no later than 6:00 p.m. the day before your expected arrival.  If you fail to cancel as required, you will be charged one night's lodging.

            If reservations are made by a chapter rather than by an individual, chapters can use their FEIN number to be exempt from some taxes.  Chapters must present some type of official documentation such as a chapter check to receive an exemption.

            Please note that the official check in time is not until 3:00 p.m.; however, if your room happens to be clean and ready before that time, the hotel may allow you to check into your room.

            Check out time on Sunday, September 16, is 12:00 noon.

            We will provide more information later about dog relief areas.

            DOOR PRIZES: This year, every chapter is requested to provide two door prizes in the form of cash or merchandise with the value of at least $10 each.  Door prizes can be left at the Presidential Suite when you pick up your registration packet.  The Door Prize Committee, the Harrison County Chapter, requests that door prizes not be wrapped, but that each door prize be accompanied by a brown paper bag.

            MEMBERSHIP AUCTION: Every member is requested to obtain at least one new item or homemade food item for the auction which will take place on the evening of Friday, September 14.  Please leave your auction items at the Presidential Suite when you pick up your registration packet.  The Auction Committee, the Members at Large Chapter, will collect the items when needed.  Auction items should be attractive with broad-based appeal.  When you have obtained an item, please prepare a brief written description of the item, along with the name of its contributor and its approximate value.  Such information should be sent by E-mail to Sheri Koch, Membership Auction Chairperson, at Kanawha at nfbwv.org.  The auction is a fund-raiser in which every member can participate and thus help in a very valuable way to support our many ongoing projects and initiatives.

            RECEPTION: All chapters are joining together to provide you with a tasty dinner of Chicken parmesan with penne pasta, salad, broccoli florets, roll, tea, coffee, and ice water as well as a dessert station which will include an assortment of desserts.  The entre for the vegetarian selection is Pasta primavera.

            SATURDAY NIGHT: The banquet will be Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, chopped salad, rolls, tea, coffee, and ice water as well as chocolate cake.  The entre for the vegetarian selection is Portabella mushrooms stacked with vegetables and served with rice.

            BRAILLE LITERACY DIVISION: President Karen McDonald will communicate with all division members regarding plans for this year's meeting.

            RESOLUTIONS: If you have issues or concerns which you believe ought to be considered by the Resolutions Committee, please submit them to Chairperson Ed McDonald, 151 South Mineral Street, Keyser, WV  26726.  PHONE:  (304) 788-0129; E-MAIL:  atlarge at nfbwv.org.  Submissions should be sent to Ed no later than August 13, 2018.  Anything submitted after this date will not be considered until next year's convention.  The Resolutions Committee will prepare all resolutions by September 1, 2018 with a copy submitted to the NFBWV president at that time.

            AWARDS: Nominations for The Jacobus tenBroek Federationist of the Year award should be submitted to Sheena Struble at SLSTRUBLE at MSN.COM
or (717) 487-5642.  Submissions should be sent no later than August 13, 2018.  Names received after this date will not be considered.  Sheena will share all nominations with the members of her committee, Brad Hodges or Joe Regnier and Trish Walker.

            If you have nominations for other awards and honors, please submit them to the chairperson of the Awards and Honors Committee, Sheri Koch, 833 Chappell Road, Charleston, WV  25304.  PHONE:  (304) 993-5103; E-MAIL:  Kanawha at nfbwv.org.  Nominations received after August 13, 2018, will not be considered.

            Meanwhile, if you have any questions or need to forward information to me, please do so by using the contact information provided at the beginning of this memo.

            We hope that all of you can attend this year's convention to let your Federation spirit show.  We look forward to meeting and visiting with you.

HOTEL INFORMATION

Guests will also enjoy the following amenities that the full-service Holiday Inn provides:

For additional comfort, all rooms are equipped with mini fridges, microwaves, Keurig 1 cup coffee maker, iron, ironing board and hairdryer.

Guests can relax at the indoor pool, garden patio and outdoor dining patio.

Guests will appreciate the convenience of the business center, free Wi-Fi, 24 sundry shop and guest laundry room.

RESTAURANT

Atria's on-site restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner that offers a wide variety of menu options.  To view the menus, go to www.atrias.com<http://www.atrias.com/>.

RESTAURANT HOURS

Monday - Thursday:

Breakfast 6:30am to 10:30am

Kitchen open to 9 pm

Tavern open to 10 pm

Friday:

Breakfast 6:30am to 10:30am

Kitchen open to 10 pm

Tavern open to 11pm

Saturday:

Breakfast 7am to 10:30am

Kitchen open to 10 pm

Tavern open to 11pm

Sunday:

Breakfast 7am to 10:30am

Kitchen and Tavern open to 8 pm

FACILITIES

  Smoke-Free Facility

  Number of Floors: 6

  Total Number of Rooms: 190

  Number of Suites: 4

  Number of Non-Smoking Rooms: 186

  Number of Accessible Rooms: 9

  Connecting Rooms Available

HOTEL FEATURES

Morgantown's newest full-service hotel with 190 rooms is located in the heart of WVU Campus. Offers convenient free parking, full service restaurant, lounge and outside dining. They also have banquet and meeting rooms available for all meeting needs. They offer free wireless internet throughout the hotel. Enjoy the heated indoor pool, 24-hour fitness center and business center.

Business Services

On-Site Business Center

Business Center is open 24 hours a day

Staffed Business Center

Business Center Staffed Between 12:00 AM and 11:59 PM

Printer

Copying

Scanner

Office supplies available

Entertainment & Recreation

Indoor Pool

Heated Indoor Pool

Indoor Pool Hours of Operation: 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM

no lifeguard on duty, children must be accompanied by guardian or parent

Cocktail Lounge

Health & Fitness

Complimentary Fitness Center

exercise bike, 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, scale, bosu ball, foam roller, stretch bands, 65-cm stability ball, tri-fold exercise mats and free weights with bench

Hours of Operation: 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM

Housekeeping & Laundry

Daily Housekeeping

Weekly Housekeeping

Full Service Housekeeping

Limited Housekeeping

On-site Guest Self-Laundry Facilities

Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Dry Cleaning Pickup/Laundry Valet

Same-Day Dry Cleaning

Hours of Operation: 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM

Internet Services

Wired Internet Available in Business Center.

Standard wired Internet service is free for all IHG(r) Rewards Club members

Wireless Internet Available in Rooms, Suites, Business Center, Public Areas and Meeting Spaces.

Standard Wireless Internet service is free for all IHG(r) Rewards Club members

Added Value

Complimentary Coffee in Lobby

Wake Up Calls

Baggage Hold

ATM/Cash Machine

Ice Machine

Safety Deposit Box Available

Newsstand

Pet Policy

Pets allowed

Service Animals Allowed

Pets Walking Area Available

Pets weighing 25-pounds or less will have a fee of 25- dollars per day, and any pet weighing more than 25-pounds is a 50-dollar fee per day. No more than 2 pets are permitted in a room. All pets must be supervised during the entire time of your stay.

Directions & Transportation

Complementary Shuttle

Hours of Operation are from 8:00 AM-To 8:00 PM.

The hotel offers a 14-passenger shuttle van that goes within a 5-mile radius of the hotel. Please inquire at the front desk to make all shuttle arrangements.

Cost:  $ 0.0

Parking

Free parking for hotel and in-house restaurant guest only.

Driving Directions

>From the North

Take Exit 155 towards West Virginia University.  Turn left onto Chaplin Hill Road.  Bear right onto US-19 WV-7 Monongalia Boulevard. Turn left onto WV-705 Patterson Drive.  Turn right to stay on WV-705 Chestnut Ridge Road. Turn left onto Pineview Drive and the hotel is on the right side.

>From the South

Head South I-68 West.  Use the right lanes to merge onto I-79 North toward Washington.  Take 155 toward West Virginia 7 toward West Virginia University.  Turn right onto Chaplin Road.  Chaplin Road turns slightly right and becomes US-19 south.  Use left lanes to turn onto Patterson Drive.  Continue onto VanVoorhis Road.  Turn right onto WV-705 East Chestnut Ridge Road.  Turn left onto Pineview Drive.

>From the East

>From I-68, take exit 7 toward West Virginia Pierpont. Turn right onto Route 857 Cheat Road. Turn left onto us-119 South Mileground Road. Stay in right hand lane on 705. At the third traffic light, make a right onto Pineview Drive and the hotel will be on the right at 1188 Pineview Drive, Morgantown, WV 26505.

>From the West

Take Exit 7 toward West Virginia 705 Airport Pierpont.  Turn right onto County Route 857 Cheat Road.  Turn left onto US-119 south Mileground Rd.  At the traffic circle, take 2nd exit onto WV-705. At the 3rd stop light, make a right onto pineview Drive. Continue straight and the hotel is on the right side.