[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for 7/18/18

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Jul 18 16:48:23 UTC 2018

July 18, 2018
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Thank you all for helping to make the 2018 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind our best yet. Many of you have written with ideas, feedback, and suggestions for the future, and I deeply appreciate your engagement.

As each of you knows, the fall is one of the busiest times in our organization as two-thirds of our affiliates have conventions, we all have Meet the Blind Month in October, and there are many other great things happening throughout the season. We have discussed some training for affiliate treasurers and presidents. I am beginning to examine what opportunities there might be in the fall. Please let me know if this is of interest or if we should stick with the meeting around Washington Seminar. Our potential meeting this January may be complicated by remodeling in our building. This is why it is still up in the air. Your feedback is appreciated.

Finally, during the convention we announced an agreement with Greyhound Bus Lines, which operates in forty-four of our affiliates. In the coming weeks, each of you will be receiving information about the opportunity to participate in our monitoring and to receive a small grant to the affiliate. Please be prepared to act quickly if your affiliate shows up in the first round of testing scheduled for August through October.

News:
Presidential Release:
The July Presidential Release is available at https://nfb.org/presidential-releases.

Dream Makers Circle:
We added to our Dream Makers Circle at our national convention. Thanks to those who joined. It bodes well for our long-term financial health. It is crucial that NFB leadership leads the way. We can convince others to join if we have leadership participation in our planned giving. We will reach out to those who expressed interest during convention. Thanks to all of you who have joined or who have sought additional information. If you did not get a chance to visit our Dream Makers Circle table at convention and want information, you can reach out to Patti Chang at extension 2422 or at pchang at nfb.org<mailto:pchang at nfb.org>.

Strategic Planning Focus Groups:
Thanks to all who participated in or helped in identifying participants for our focus groups on strategic planning. All five groups met at convention and the grassroots feedback will help with our development of our future plans.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   July 29-August 4, 2018: NFB EQ<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>
  *   October 11-12, 2018: Tactile Graphics Symposium
  *   March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
  *   July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.