[Nfbwv-talk] Madaline Honeycutt RIP

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Oct 6 03:18:05 UTC 2018

As many of you know already, Karen's mother--Madaline Honeycutt--died early this afternoon at the age of 89.  For just over two weeks she had been in the hospital and a rehab facility for treatment of complications resulting from a mass on the lung, presumed to be cancer.  Karen and I--along with daughter Donna and partner--visited with her at the hospital on Monday, and Karen and I were in the process of arranging for her to move into our home with the help of hospice care.  We knew the end was drawing close, but it came a little more quickly than we had expected.

A number of you got acquainted with her during several NFB national conventions which she and her sister Shirley attended along with us.  She took an interest in the Federation and understood that it was an important part of our lives.  She was also generous with her support.

She was, in her own way, a strong and determined woman from the mountains of Pocahontas County.  Following a divorce in the mid-1960s--when she was around the age of 35--she left West Virginia in hopes of finding a job and a new life in Washington, DC.  She got a job, eventually found another husband, and settled into a home in suburban Maryland where she has lived for nearly fifty years.  Her husband died eighteen years ago, and since then she has continued to live alone, as actively and independently as the increasing challenges of growing older would permit.  Her annual month-long December visits with us became a part of our holiday tradition which will give us many fond memories.

West Virginians have a way of eventually coming home, and her wish was to be buried along with family in Randolph County.  According to those wishes, we are planning funeral services for Saturday, October 13 (probably around 11:00 AM) at Tomblyn Funeral Home in Elkins, WV.  Since Karen is the only child, we are the ones responsible for making funeral arrangements, and we are still working on the details.

Karen has received kind words from a lot of friends, and we appreciate that very much.

Peace,

Ed